Chapter Twelve ☽︎ Just For This Moment

"To love or have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the dark folds of life."
-- Unknown

K I M B E R L Y

He snores lightly, his lips forming a small frown. The steady movement of chest, up and down, the small puffs of breath escaping his lips. He's been like this since last night, and I've been here, watching, waiting for his eyes to flutter open.

The door to the ward opens and Alex Clayton walks in, a cast on his left arm. We share a long weird look, and then he sits next to me.

"You're prettier in person," he mumbles and I feign a small smile. "I mean I could only cook up a lot of things from Lee's imagination and E NEWS, but you look hotter in person,"

"Lee's imagination?" What is he talking about?

"Yeah, he talked about you a lot, he still does," he says and I look at Lee. His breathing is still steady and for some weird reason it feels like he can hear us.

"You call him Lee, that only means you've known him for a long time,"

"You can say that, although this is the first time I'm calling him Lee, since everything," He sighs. "I'm sorry I punched him,"

"The internet is also flooding with videos of y'all,"

"Well that gives them something new to talk about then?"

"You're okay with people talking about how you beat up your teammate who you're supposed to be friends with,"

He gives me a stoic look.
"At least they don't have to talk about his other situation,"

A giggle erupts from me as he says that. "This is the media, trust me, I've spent all my life in it, they love gossip, and trust me, I don't think they're letting Lee off the......."

"Lex," a breathy voice interrupts us, and I lift my eyes to see Jodie, My sister's friend, staring at Alex Clayton. It's a mixture of sadness, hurt and a bit of.....I don't really know, passion?

"Jo," he practically chokes on the words, a look crosses a face, almost like pain. He turns to me and then he mutters something that sounds like, "I'm gonna get going now."
And with that, he leaves the ward like someone whose is on fire. Jo on the other hand, stares at the door like someone in another universe.

There's definitely something I'm missing here.

"That wasn't awkward," I fill the silence with my voice and she takes a deep breath.

"Kimberly?" She gasps in excitement, her former mood gone in a what seems like a split second.

"In the flesh, once again," I smile as her eyes drift to where and unconscious Lee lies.

"Thanks for bringing him here," she sighs as she grabs a hold of his hand. She must sense all my thoughts because she laughs awkwardly, "Hudson is my big brother from another Mom,"

"Oh," I sigh, my thoughts churning and turning. Lee has a kid sister? How come I don't know?

"Yeah, we share a complicated and slightly fucked up Dad," she laughs again and I join her, my thoughts still turning around.

Terence walks into the ward, hot chocolate in his hands for both of us. "so the doctor says it's a mild concussion, which means he'll be up soon," He says. He turns to me for a second, accessing my face.

There's something about Terence when he looks at someone. And for some reason, I seem to notice. It's like he can see everything about that person. Their past, their present and of course their future. But I know right now that Terence has been staring at me because Lee might have told him something about us. He reaches out, his right hand on my shoulder when he says, "He's going to be alright,"