Chapter 9: Be kind

Authors note-
A short chapter but definitely a sad one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Arnold spent the next few days working on his soldier uniform design.
Carlos had agreed to make the tech gear for the uniform.
A few things they had added to the design were just some built in gadgets and weapons.
When they finished the design they started to gather materials and make a uniform.
Arnold had gotten a little more comfortable with living on earth now and was used to the area.
The cafeteria was his favourite place to go as it sold hot chocolate which was Arnold's favourite drink and it was a good place for him to do research on fashion as there was a large library in the building next door.
Arnold was sowing the cufflinks onto the uniform when a soldier burst through the door.
“Arnold Astro is urgently needed at cabin 6”
The soldier informed.
Cabin 6, that was Arnold's cabin he followed the soldier out the work building and followed the soldier at a quick pace back to the cabin.
The soldier held the door open for Arnold.
Arnold entered the cabin to see his father lying in bed. His father's face was pale as snow. His hair seemed to have shedded more and he was breathing wheezy breaths.
The soldier left and went back to his post.
Graham looked up at Arnold and smiled softly.
“i need to tell you something” he wheezed.
Tears ran down Graham's eyes.
“i’m dying”
Arnold looked at his father in shock.
He had guessed his dad was feeling unwell but never guessed that he was dying.
Arnold managed to push a word out of his mouth.
“H-how?”
Graham breathed in a few wheezy breaths before starting a story
“since I left earth I've had a tumor in my brain. It gave me cancer. I have Proponta Cancer. A type of cancer that kills you inside out. Making you more tired, giving you indigestion which actually stops you from poopnig, balding and respiratory breakdowns. Since I was on mars I've had the right treatment to help. Now I'm back on earth, they don't have the right treatment here.”
Graham took a deep wheezy breath as tears rolled down his eyes
“the doctor says I have less than an hour to live”
Arnold’s mind was racing. His father had been suffering from cancer all these years. Slowly killing him. And Arnold never noticed.
He felt ashamed for not asking his father what was wrong earlier.
Arnold couldn't stop, once one tear rolled down, the rest came too.
Graham looked up and smiled
“i’m not gone yet.”
Arnold wiped the tears off his eyes and hugged his father.
“I have something to tell you before I leave. Just one thing. Never be cruel. Always have love. No matter what comes your way. Always be brave and above all...”
Graham breathed in another wheezy breath as his eyes turned a slight red
“be kind”
He muttered before shutting his eyes and his head turned away from Arnold.
Arnold stared at his father's lifeless body on the bed before collapsing to his knees and started crying.
The man who raised him, who taught him, now lay lifeless on the bed in front of him.
He hugged his father's lifeless body and started crying.
Crying himself to sleep.