forty

There wasn't a cloud to be seen in today's sky. A soft wind brushed the top of the trees, the sun brightly shining through, and down onto the streets of Monte Carlo, where Sofie's fingers were comfortably intertwined with Charles's. Both smiled, unable to hide what they were really feeling. Right in that moment, they could care less about being seen by a dozen fans, about being caught by paparazzi, or by simply the gardener that busied himself with a mansion's front porch.

Charles's mind was completely blank, except for her. In this moment, it was impossible for him to think about the upcoming Grand Prix in Montreal, or anything to do with racing at all. The brunette had his undivided attention.

Sofie brushed strands of hair out of her face. 'So, when are you leaving for Montreal again?' She asked him.

'Tomorrow.' Charles told her, already disappointed by the fact that he had to leave her, and that their contact would be limited, once again. 'Kinda wish I could take you with me.' He said shyly, squeezing her hand in his own.

Sofie hummed, her heart breaking a little at the thought of having to see him go. 'You better be back in time for my birthday.' She gave him a challenging glance, shy yet so confident. 'And maybe I'll consider accompanying you in the future.' She said, the words already leaving her mouth without having really thought about them. It made her realise that she was prepared to go to great lengths to make this thing work between them.

He looked at her, mesmerised. 'Would you want that? Going with me?'

Sofie was taken aback by the surprised look on his handsome face. She nodded. 'Yes, of course. Where are you going next?'

Charles exhaled while thinking. 'Well, next up is Silverstone, but we'll both be in the United Kingdom by then. And then... Austria, France, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, I believe...'

'I can't believe you do this for a living.' She softly gasped, tightly holding onto his hand as if he could disappear any moment.

A smile appeared on Charles's face, happiness capturing his handsome feature. 'Well, I can't believe I'm here with you right now.' He said, his voice calm as ever, having spoken those words with complete and utter solemnity.

Sofie's cheeks flushed lightly, still not used to hearing such things. She couldn't bring herself to say anything, suddenly too shy to, but the blush surrounding her cheekbones and the sweet smile on her face were enough. And it was also enough to make Charles flush just the same, smiling intensely down at his feet before glancing back at her again, still holding onto her hand.

A brief silence fell, a comfortable one. Charles slipped his other hand into his pocket, his mind going a thousand places at once.

'You know, you're much more cheeky over the phone.' He smirked a little. Sofie caught that smirk, and it made her laugh softly. She nodded her head with the exact same smug smile on her lips, contemplating her answer.

She chuckled again, shaking her head. 'True. You haven't seen the worst of me yet.' She admitted, but knowing that she was holding herself in while being around him, not yet fully herself. Though, she knew, she was slowly letting go of that, slowly warming up to Charles and pushing away those nerves. 'I can be either this, or that drunk mess you made out with a couple months ago — that girl can go crazy until late into the night. I am that girl sometimes, and I'm barely ashamed.' She grinned.

'I find her hilarious.' Charles admitted, realising he'd probably like every single version of her, every single part.

Sofie bumped her shoulder into his, unable to keep her smile in check. 'Oh, so it was hilarious when we kissed, huh?' She teased him, yet again squeezing his hand.

'So hilarious.' He grinned. They both laughed at the ridiculousness of their conversation, but also thinking back to that night. It brought back familiar feelings; like the urge to do it all over again. 'I'm kidding. I love that version of you. I love every part of you.' He said without really thinking it through, and while crossing the road, it silenced them both for a brief moment, but not for long.

Sofie slowed her footsteps down, both of them still remaining on the crosswalk. Their gazes crossed with tension on their faces.

Sofie's mind went blank. 'Kiss me.' She said, the words escaping her mouth before she could even consider them. But there was no regret about them, none at all.

Somehow, this hadn't surprised Charles. In fact, he'd been planning on doing just that before going away again. And when he noticed the desperation in her eyes, when he realised the emptiness of the street, when he knew that everything and everyone was allowing them to do this, he pulled her into his chest and kissed her deeply. It was light, warm and careful, yet passionate.

Both were blushing terribly, fingers intertwining again, and together they continued walking with bright smiles on their faces.