fifty-one

After spending the morning with her friends to celebrate her twenty-second birthday, Sofie now walked hand and hand with Charles Leclerc, the boy whom she had fallen madly in love with. Maybe she didn't quite know it yet, but it was written all over her face whenever he'd place a kiss into her hair, when he'd wrap his arms around her, and especially when he'd smile at her, looking the happiest he'd ever been. And it was all because of her.

Charles had led her away from her friends. They could still be heard, their voices blending in with the rest of the background noises. Nerves warmed his body like a hot fire.

They walked onto the dock. For a moment, their hands parted. Charles took a moment to admire the view in front of him. 'You look so beautiful.' He sighed breathlessly, a weak smile on his face revealing how mesmerised he was.

Sofie wanted to deny his compliment, but didn't. All she could do was stand there, again reaching for his hand. With little space remaining between their chests, Charles pushed Sofie's hair behind her ear. He'd become addicted to that smile. 'I don't think I've felt this happy in a long time.' He confessed, staring deeply into her brown eyes.

'Don't worry.' She said, wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him close. 'I'm not planning on going anywhere.'

His fingertips grasped her chin. 'I think I've fallen in love with you.'

Those eight words enthralled her, but didn't surprise her at all, because she'd fallen for Charles just the same. Placing her hands on his chest, not afraid to lean into him, Sofie knew what she wanted, and she was going to take it.

Sofie kissed him with heated intensity to show him that he was the only one that mattered right now. Her fingertips trailed over his shoulders. Their lips melted together, as well as their mutual feelings. Charles kissed her back like he'd had a glance into the future, like he'd seen this coming. The kiss only intensified when he confidently slipped his tongue past the brunette's lips, heart racing fast.

A question burned in the back of Charles's throat. He slowed the kiss — at least, he tried. It was almost impossible to break away from her, because this was all he'd ever wanted.

'Chérie...' He softly mumbled through the kiss, barely catching her attention. And to be fair, he continued to struggle. Part of him desired to keep kissing her, hands on her waist, fumbling with the soft material of her summer dress. The other part wanted to look her in the eyes and tell her every single thought, every single wish. And then, the words fell out of his mouth, lips still brushing over hers. 'Be with me.' His breath was heavy, like hers.

She'd heard him perfectly, yet couldn't pull away from his intense kiss. After kissing him deeply, his hand in her hair, she broke away. 'I love you, Charles Leclerc.'

He brought his mouth to her cheek, planting a soft kiss on her freckles. She chuckled because of the gesture. 'Is that a yes?' He smirked lightly, happiness overtaking him.

'Yes.' Sofie breathed. 'Yes, please.'

Her face disappeared into the crook of his neck, his strong arms around her. Neither could contain their smiles. Both flushed terribly red, hearts beating faster than they ever had before.

Charles pressed a gentle kiss under her ear, under her jaw, then again, and again, until she released a quiet chuckle. 'I'm the happiest man alive.' He told her, finally looking down at her again, admiring the sparkle in her eyes.

Sofie pressed her lips to his again. 'Can we keep this between us for now?' She asked him, fingertips brushing over his bare chest, giving him goosebumps. 'Just for a little while. I don't want the media to find out just yet.'

'I understand.' He nodded, leaning his forehead against hers.

And they kissed again, unable to contain their love for one another, unable to hide it, unable to deny it any longer. Both of them knew that this was something real.