Chapter 5

After this interview, I spend a few days on the redaction of my article and I prepare my interview with Hayley Williams. I also try to get to know my new colleagues.

"Trohman, are you available? You're supposed to validate my notes, right?" I ask the curly-haired man with shoulder straps. His blue eyes look up at me from the document that he was looking at and he rubs his nose, a little upset.

"Nope, not me. I already have to edit yesterday's articles," he informs me while struggling with a mount of papers. He must be a little sloppy in his work. Mr. Weekes has refused his article twice.

"Alright. I'm going to go see Mr. Weekes," I mutter and enter  my boss' office after knocking. "I've written my article about the Welkin Tower, Mr. Weekes. Can you please validate it?"

I hand him the sheets of paper. He hums as he reads it quickly, bringing his big cigar to his lips with his free hand.

"Hmm, you tackled the matter through a debate between two parties, without sensationalism or shallowness. That's a good article. Excellent," he analyzes out loud, his eyes on the paper.

Wow, the director of the Sunday News was never satisfied with my writing style, because it wasn't trendy and easy to read. I wasn't expecting Mr. Weekes to approve it!

"Once you're done with your modifications, I will proofread it and then we can publish it." Mr. Weekes seems very satisfied.

"Yes Sir! I'm doing that right away, Sir."

"How are you doing regarding the interview with Hayley Williams?"

"Everything is in order, boss. Why, is there a problem?" I ask.

"There has been changes in Ms. Williams' schedule. It is possible that you have to interview her tomorrow. It shouldn't be a problem for you if everything is in order, though."

I rub my chin a little. "I think. Yeah, it will be okay."

"Good. Get some rest and put on some nice clothes, tomorrow. I hope to get another excellent article from you, Way." Mr. Weekes smiles at me and dismisses me.

My first articled was approved, and the interview was moved up to tomorrow. It wasn't all that easy to get in, but that's a good start in the journal.

"Gerard, what's up?" Fuentes, a young man with longish, brown hair and swarthy skin pounces on me. He is the only intern of the journal.

"I'm going to interview Ms. Williams tomorrow," I answer.

"The aviator who flew across the Gulf of Mexico all by herself? Whoa! You'll be able to meet her in person!"

As Fuentes is chatting, Trohman glances at him severely. It must be a bit difficult to work in these conditions.

"I'm going to go home early to get rest and prepare tomorrow's interview," I announce.

The next day, I get up early to finish preparing myself and the interview. I want to wear something quite fancy, but I'm clearly not rolling on money and don't have many clothes. The tuxedo I wore during the gala is definitely too much, and it brings up bad memories anyway.

In the end, I decide to keep the nice pants, waistcoat and the shirt, I drop the bowtie and the jacket, and put on my green jacket instead. I take a taxi and arrive at Hayley Williams' house. The manor is located in a beautiful, fancy suburb of Long Island.

I follow the butler through the courtyard to the hall where he tells me to wait for Ms. Williams. The parquet floor is made of a dark wood. A crystal chandelier hangs from the high ceiling and shelves embedded in the clear, gold-decorated walls put on display all sorts of items – books by dozens, magnifying glass, map, compass, globe, small statues.