Chapter 17

The next day, here I am, back to Prosecutor Toro's office. I didn't think I would be back so soon. I take a deep breath and follow Mr. Toro's secretary like I did yesterday. Mr. Toro greets me.

"Sorry for the bother," I say as we shake hands. "I am here to let you know that Dante D'Avanzo is linked to Taylor's death."

"Please take a seat." Mr. Toro motions at an armchair in front of his desk before he sits down. "Let's talk about this in details."

I sit down and tell the Prosecutor everything that Leo told me. I tell him how D'Avanzo was convicted, too.

"Let me guess. They didn't manage to prove him guilty because of a lack of evidence, and the charges were dropped..." Mr. Toro says.

"Huh? How do you know that?"

"It's nothing. Please carry on." He shakes his head.

"Well as you predicted, he was released six months later and the charges were dropped. I was also told that he was part of the Solazzo family. So, I suppose that the Solazzo family is also connected to all this."

"That makes sense," Prosecutor Toro agrees. "But some things could be... Give me a moment, please."

Mr. Toro interrupts himself and dives into his thoughts. I don't say a thing, afraid I might distract him. After what felt like ages, he finally looks back at me.

"Maybe I should tell you everything I have discovered up to this day. I have heard of this connection between the Solazzos and the D'Avanzos before. My research have shown that some political powers are in league with the mafia."

I bring my hand to my mouth. "You mean, politicians with the mafia?"

Mr. Toro nods. "Correct. There may be some suspicious agreement between them."

"May I know what politicians you are referring to?" I ask anxiously.

"...Christopher Williams."

His answer takes me aback. Counselor Williams? Hayley Williams' father?! I look at him, dumbfounded.

"Unbelievable, is it? But it's the truth, though I genuinely wished it wasn't the case."

"Are you saying that... Counselor Williams is involved with the mafia?" I ask again. I remember the nice, middle-aged man who helped me get inside the building of the gala I attended, back when I was still working with the Sunday News. I remember how much his daughter praised him for being a supportive father.

"I believe he is. But my investigations have been slow, due to his status. For now, I don't have any definitive proof."

If Mr. Williams is involved with the mafia, maybe I should investigate him too. Or should I focus on D'Avanzo? Mr. Toro peers at me as though he had read my thoughts.

"Mr. Way. Gerard. You have means to investigate that I don't. You are a youthful journalist. If you want a suggestion from me, you have the possibility to interview Mr. Williams in order to approach him. He won't slip and reveal anything, but from what I've understood, you don't mind... looking around when you need to. As a journalist, they won't suspect you. But you only can decide what you are comfortable with for the sake of the investigation. I don't want to put you at risk."

"Understood. I will consider it." I nod, though I wonder how to gain the trust of a man who sees dozens of journalists a day and has learnt to stay alert, as a politician and a potential mobster.

Seeing my doubts, Mr. Toro chuckles. "You have always caught my interest, Mr. Way. Do you know why?"

"Your interest? No, why?"