14

Carrying out a drunk Scaramouche in the middle of the night wasn't something he thought he'd be doing on a fine Saturday night. Kenta was staying in the bar for another hour or so to count the total sales for each host, assembling a weekly report of each host's status. He gave him Scaramouche's address to drop him off at, which, surprisingly, was a stone's throw away from Kazuha's apartment. 

With Scaramouche practically falling into his arms due to drunkness, they strolled peacefully. Both not uttering a single word to each other, yet it wasn't something to feel awkward about. Scattered breathing and delicate footsteps, two males are found on the quiet street of Ebisu; one almost too drunk to function, another making sure the other doesn't collapse onto the ground.

They stayed like that for a while, until Scaramouche abruptly stopped in his tracks, almost making Kazuha the one to almost trip over his own feet. 

"Why didn't you come to see me the past few days?" his voice croaky and was barely audible and doesn't help with the fact that it was somewhat slurred. But it was amplified by the tranquil surroundings. He hung his head, his neck giving up on trying to support his head.

Kazuha bit his lip, he felt ashamed. Ashamed of himself for leaving Scaramouche when he needed him the most, remorseful for being so irresponsible of Scaramouche. His ignorance of the term "protect" had done him the exact opposite of justice. He felt lost; no longer able to comprehend what the term "to protect" even convey. Was it to let go of Scaramouche? Or was it to stay by his side, completely free to his disposal? The two ideologies clashed fiercely within his mind, both unwilling to give up their position.

"I..." Kazuha swallowed, unknowing of what he should say.

"Was it because of Mina?" Scaramouche slurred, pulling on the corner of Kazuha's dress shirt.

"No, of course not," he assured him, at least that part was true. 

He can feel Scaramouche shaking, laughing terribly out of control, "Lies! I know a liar when I see one." he scowled at Kazuha. "Okay, I'm giving you a second chance. Explain to me what you were doing with Mina at a coffee shop just three days prior?" He inquired, demanding an answer. 

Kazuha could sense it wasn't a drunken Scaramouche anymore, the alcoholic effects had worn off; and left him in sobriety. He stopped drinking alcohol at around 1 A.M., he was surprised to know it had only been no longer than an hour since he last had contact with any sort of alcohol. "Are you sober?" He asked.

"Doesn't matter if I'm sober or not. Respond to my question." He demanded, not giving up until he receives a feasible answer from Kazuha.

Kazuha sighed, "I was just inviting her to a friendly chat," he said, his eyes focused on anywhere else but Scaramouche. "nothing else."

Scaramouche shook his head in slow motion, in disbelief of Kazuha's story. "I don't think I believe that, Kazuha." 

Kazuha wanted to explain, "No, I-"

"Don't cut me off when I'm talking." he snapped, "I have an interesting theory I would like to bring to the table," 

"Remember a week ago when you interrupted me during my work?" Kazuha nodded. "Remember when you said something, like, 'get out of here before I seize control of you'?" 

Scaramouche didn't wait for a reaction from Kazuha, and continued, "Excuses, excuses. You just wanted an excuse to never see me again. You soon realized your love for Mina, and was so devastated when you discovered that you had rejected her just a few days ago.

"You wanted to go crawling back to Mina, build up your relationship with her from scratch after knowing she saw you with me at the bar. And the first thing you have to do on the list is, unsurprisingly, get rid of me.