Chapter 6- Single

Even after Janna had left, I could still feel her lingering presence. I stared at the corner of my bed which she had occupied and imagined her laying there, glowing. I reached out to touch the air, to grasp the space where she had existed for a brief moment. I felt her image slip out from between my fingers and escape through the open window like a puff of smoke. I need a cigarette.

I picked up my coat from last night and probed its pockets. Nothing. I checked the pockets of my pants as well but they, too, were empty. That's odd. I searched the floor on my hands and knees like an animal. They must've fallen out of my pockets last night. I quickly retreated to my sock drawer and tore it apart, looking for a spare pack. I was quickly interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. My heart dropped. Could it be Emilio? I cautiously approached my phone. Unknown number. I let it ring again. What if it's Janna? It rang once more. Fuck it.

"Hello?" I answered cautiously.

"Hey Dante, it's me," came a familiar voice. "Emilio gave me your number last night, I hope you don't mind."

My nerves calmed at the sound of her voice.

"Celeste?" I questioned. "Wait, why would Emilio give you my number?"

The line went silent for a moment.

"Well, I asked for it after your... episode. I just– I wanted to make sure you were alright."

Celeste wanted my number?

"Oh, yeah I'm fine... I just had a headache is all," I reassured her.

"Okay, good," she took a pause. "I also wanted to apologize for ruining your shirt. I'm so clumsy sometimes it's embarrassing!" She let out a nervous laugh.

"No, no it's fine. I didn't even like that shirt anyway." It was my favorite shirt.

"That makes me feel a little better!" Celeste giggled, returning to her usual bubbly self. "I was worried that you were upset at me."

Why would she care if I was upset?

"No, I wasn't– I'm not upset. Really, it's fine." I said reassuringly.

"Okay, I believe you," she let out a small laugh. "Anway, I have something of yours."

What could she possibly have?

"Your cigarettes," she said, reading my mind. "They fell out of your pocket last night. I wanted to return them."

My Camels!

"Just keep them," I surprised myself with my answer.

"Oh no I insist," she protested.

Why does she want to return them so bad? I could just buy new ones.

"I thought you didn't like it when I smoked?" I questioned, remembering our conversation the night before.

"I don't." She said curtly. "But that's not really any of my business." She's right.

There was another pause. "Please, Dante. Let me do this for you."

Something was different. She sounded different. It was almost like the tone in her voice had completely changed. Her usual bubbly tone was replaced with another that was almost unrecognizable. What changed?

I sighed. "Okay, you can come by my apartment if you want."

"Okay send me the address!" Why hadn't I noticed how light and airy her voice was until now?