Chapter 10 - Pretend

Very few words were exchanged as I pulled into a dimly lit parking lot on Highland Boulevard. Music played softly from the radio and drowned out all the words we were too afraid to say out loud. I pulled the handbrake hard. The finality of the sound made us both sit a little straighter, waiting for the other to say something. Anything. Celeste cleared her throat.

"Are you nervous?"

Her question caught me by surprise.

"No." I looked straight ahead, feeling her eyes on me. "Are you?"

"Yes, but not really. I don't know." She let out an audible sigh. "I guess it's just been a while since I've been on a real date."

"Me too." What does she mean by a 'real date'?

Celeste laughed softly. "That makes me feel a little better."

She unbuckled her seat belt and opened her car door. I exited too and quickly made my way around the car to help her. I extended my hand and she took it quickly.

"Thanks." Celeste held onto my hand and stood up. With her high heels, we were almost eye-level. Her hand was soft and her nails were painted a crimson red. How does she play the giant cello with those tiny hands?

We crossed the street and spotted a quaint, little restaurant.

"Is that where we're going?" Celeste asked excitedly. Bingo.

"Definitely."

I opened the door of the restaurant for Celeste as she swiftly entered. We approached the host and requested a table for two. We were led to a table by the window of the restaurant, a quiet little corner to ourselves. Celeste chose the seat facing the room, I chose the one opposite.

"I've never been here before," she raised the menu to examine it.

"Neither have I."

She raised her eyebrows. "Then how did you know it was a good place for a date?"

"I didn't." I admitted lamely. "I don't really go out much." Why did I say that?

Celeste furrowed her brow. "Why not? Too busy?"

"A lack of company, I guess." I played with the corners of the menu. There was a slight, uncomfortable silence.

I continued to look down at the menu. I couldn't bear to see the look of pity in her eyes. The same look I had received since I was a child from everyone who knew me; who really knew me. I couldn't stand it – no, I fucking hated it. I quickly changed the topic before she had a chance to reply.

"Do you want something to drink?" I picked up the cocktail menu and pretended to examine it.

"I don't have an ID."

"I'll order whatever you want."

Celeste smiled slyly.
"Are you trying to get me drunk?" Oh no.

"No – I mean, only if you want." I cursed myself in my head.

"And if I don't like my drink, can I spill it on your shirt?" She giggled. She's flirting with me.

I looked down at my white shirt and pretended to consider it. "This is my last clean shirt."

"Then I suppose I should save you the trouble?"

"You're never any trouble."

Celeste looked down at the table and blushed. I couldn't explain why but tonight, the right words seemed to find me. I wasn't usually the type of person to be upfront about my feelings but tonight I was a different person; no, I was only pretending to be. It was always easier to pretend. Dante Belmont was not suave, dominant, or charismatic; but he was not that Dante tonight. Tonight, he was another version, a better version.