Prologue - The Beginning of the End

I've never been much of a talker. I'm not shy or anything, I just hate empty conversations. When I was a kid, I'd get picked on by classmates, constantly harassed for not participating in vacant discussions, and asinine behavior. I guess that's what you get when you're an eleven year old weirdo who refuses to disrupt the class for fun or to look under his teacher's skirt. I suppose I haven't changed much in a decade, which doesn't surprise me of course. The seasons always change, but I stay very much the same.

People are just so shallow these days, sometimes I question my own sanity. I wonder if I'm the only one still unconsumed by the material world that has blinded my entire generation and placed me in my own personal hell. I think about that a lot. I also wonder if things could ever be the same again but I guess I'll always be a hopeless romantic. So I continue burning away in solace.

But this story isn't about me, it's about her. Yes, it's all sorts of cliché for a poor, sullen boy like me to be writing about the woman he so truly loves but it isn't like that at all. What if, say, you read a version of Romeo and Juliet only except this time, it was Romeo and Rosaline? Would you believe it was love then?

"She will not stay the siege of loving terms,
Nor bide th' encounter of assailing eyes,
Nor ope her lap to saint-seducing gold" (1.1.216-222; 225).

So there I was, poor, poor Romeo who would never win his affections back. I suppose I could've just kept searching and given Juliet a chance but if that had happened, I wouldn't be writing this sad, little story would I? Besides, I never believed in love anyway.

Actually, I take back my last statement; I suppose there was a time I believed in love. But this was before I was old enough to comprehend most logical things. It was a simpler time back when I would hide my teeth under my pillow and wait anxiously for Santa Clause every Christmas. It was a time when moms and dads loved each other, and divorce hadn't been defined yet.  It was a time when the words "bitch" and "whore" were hard to find in my dictionary, although my dad seemed to use them a lot. It was a time when the marks on my mom's neck were purple because it was her favorite color and nothing more. Childhood is one massive lie, and if you disagree, you're still living in the lalaland your parents so skillfully constructed for you.

When I finally woke up from my deceit, it dawned on me. From that day on, I decided that there was no such thing as loving someone forever. The nature of mankind is too greedy to spend the rest of one's life loving someone else. So I decided to never fall in love; until I met her. 

Author's Note

Yay, the prologue is up! So before I upload the next chapter, hopefully edited completely by next week, I want to make sure that the views, votes, and comments are enough to put this book to a good start. So let's try and get this prologue up to 20 views, 5 votes, and 5 comments so I can post the next chapter ☺

Thank you!

P♡

p.s. please don't forget to vote and comment!