one

A loud noise wakes me up. Just a few seconds ago, I swam in my dreams with my little sister through a bloody red ocean, now I lie in my bed, i breathe heavily and I stare at the ceiling in shock. As I calm down, I run my hand through my messy hair, wich has the color of pitch black and is a bit curly, but also long and falls down my back.

When I sit up, I see that it seems like it's already late in the morning.

Oh no! I'm late!

As fast as I can, I change into a dark red dress and brush my hair. After that, I hurry to the kitchen where I meet my brother Bernardo and his girlfriend Anita. Anita is like a sister to me.

"Hola, sleepyhead" she greets me and gets of Bernardos lap to give me a plate with eggs. "Finally awake? You're late for work, Cam" "I know, I know!" I say while stuffing the eggs into my mouth. "why didnt you wake me up?" "Because you turn into a beast when someone wakes you up" Anita says relaxed. "Better hurry" "What do you think I'm doing?" I say tensely. "where is Maria?" "She buys something for dinner, she'll be back soon"

As I finish my meal, I run back into my room, brush my teeth, put a bit makeup on and let my hair like it is, open and wild. I have no time for a big makeover.

When I burst out the door, Maria stands in the kitchen. Maria is my younger sister. One year younger than me, she is the youngest one in our family. Her skin is a bit lighter than mine and her hair is not curly at all, but it is pitch black too. Her eyes find mine.

"You're-" she begins but I interrupt her. "I know, I'm to late, I'm on my way". I grab my purse and give everyone a wave. "see you later"

▪︎▪︎▪︎

A few hours later, I stand at the corner of near our home and hand a bunch of asparagus to a woman.

I work at Milly's. Milly's is a vedgetable shop and I do always take the early shift, selling the commodity to the costumers.

"Have a nice day" I say to the woman before she leaves. I look around. Near the Milly's, there are many other shops, people cross the street.

It's later than the time I'm here usually, since Milly wants me to work longer because I'm late this time. At this time, there are a lot more people in the streets than early in the morning. As I greet a new costumer, a dark haired old man who wants to buy a pack of carrots, I enjoy the sunlight, the soft breeze and the chattering voices. Until something else catches my attention.

A group of boys, more like young adults, walks down the wallstreet. They are gringos, but that is not what I'm irritated about. It is their behaviour. They act as if the street would belong to them, making noise and rumbling around. They demolish shops, steal and dance around as if they would be the kings of the world.

I never met them but I know who they are. I heard my brother cursing about them. Those boys are the jets. I do not like them from the first moment on. The pejorative look on their faces. How they act.

You could name it 'hate as first sight'.

They come towards the Milly's and I tense up, trying to look as invisible as possible.

Suddenly a joke of my best friend Gabriel comes to my mind. "You catch everyones eye, Cam". I took that as a compliment. Now, I am not sure if it was a compliment at all.

And indeed they stop at the corner, right in front of me.

A tall guy, who walks in the first place of a leader, strolls casually to the Milly's and strokes with his hand along the fruits.

"Do you want to buy something, Mister?" I ask tensed up. He looks up with a smirk an grabs an apple. "I don't intend to". Before he can pull away his hand with the apple and stop him from stealing it. "Don't you dare" I growl. His smirk grows, it is almost agrin. "Oh yeah?"

His boys build a wall behind him, cutting any escape route. I bring my eyes back to the leader, who followed my view. He knows that I know that I am outnumbered. But I am not going to let him go away unharmed, not with this apple.

"Put it back" I growl. "What if I dont?" he asks provocating. "You don't want to know that" I say because I have nothing to hold against him but myself. He laughs amused. "Do you want to threaten me?"

Just now I look closer at him. He is taller than me, his eyes are a mixture of grey, green and blue. He is quite muscular and if it was not for the circumstances that would make him probably attractive, but just now it is dangerous.

Even if a slight panic grows in my chest I look at him with a threatening expression. He laughs again. "Do you want to make me afraid?" "After all I don't need six buddies behind me to be brave, ¡cobarde!"

His expression turns hard, I can see the anger in his eyes. That hit. But I can not enjoy it because he leans towards me, nearing his face mine and hisses: "Well, how brave are you, you little porturican bitch?"

Before anyone is able to react, I slap the jet leader and yell at him in anger:

"¿Cómo te atreves, hijo de puta? Youll pay for your words and the apple, o vas a lidiar con mi hermano!"

In my rage I grab the apple and take it back. The jet lifts his head and gives his boys, who look alarmed and not sure now they should react, a sign not to intervene. Then he looks bach at me.

My breath goes wild. I am so angry that I forgot my fear. How dare he is? Coming here, trying to steal this apple, insulting me... He seems pretty angry too, but he hides it behind a predatory smile.

"maybe you should stop provoke me" "I should stop to provoke you?", I repeat outraged. "You're provoket by my presence, arent you? And I'm provoket by yours, so you'd better go, gringo" "Why me? "he asks provocative. "Because this isn't your terretory?"

He gives me grin.

"Watch me"

He runs away, followed by his boys, and continues to vandalice everywhere down the street.

▪︎▪︎▪︎

First Chapter! What do you think?

1137 words