three

Happy I burst into Anitas und Bernardos room and smile brightly at my brothers girlfriend. Before she is able to ask a question, I shout: "He allowed it! Bernardo allowed it!".

Anita gives me a smile. "Congrats. So, you want a red dress?" "Yes" I say happily. "Please".

Anita, who sat on the bed when I came in, stands up and seeks in her purse for something. After a few seconds, she gives me some banknotes. "I have not enough material for both of our dresses. Would you mind buying me some more at the store? Y'know, where Ada works. Down the street, first left and than right, cross the street at the corner. Half the street, on the side with the market"

I look down at the money.

"How much do you need?"

▪︎▪︎▪︎

Twenty minutes later, I walk away from the store giving Ada a hug.

"Hope I'll see you at the dance" I say. "You're gonna come, right?". "Yeah" says Ada. "See you there, Cam!" "Adios, Ada!" I shout and walk away.

I look around. People, people, people. People in beautiful dresses. Smiling. What a wonderful day.

"Hey, you"

Mierda.

My heart nearly stops. It is him. The guy who I argued with yesterday. The leader of the jets. Raff or whatever his name may be.

I walk faster while he comes nearer. "Hey, you, why don't you stop and joyn me for a second?"

As fast as I can without running, I walk around the corner and try to cross the street, but he grabs my arm and turns me around, so fast and sudden that I stumble and run into his hard chest. As I look up at him, I see him smirk down at me with a predatory smile.

"Hey love"

With an angry hiss I tear loose and pull him away. "quítame las manos de encima!" I shout and hope that he will leave me alone, but he stops me from crossing the street in placing himself before me.

"Hey, Wait!"

"What do you want, Raff?" For one second, his playful expression disappears. "Uhm... my name is Riff". "Oh" I say surprised. "Still a stupid name. So, what do you want, Riff?"

I try his name on my tongue. Even if it is still a stupid name, I kinda like it. Strange.

He seems gotten out of context. "Uhm ... yeah, whatever. What did this mean?". "What?" I ask skeptikly and lift my bag higher because it is so heavy. What does he mean? "y'know" he says, stroking through his messy hair. "What you said. Quitahmi Lans manous den nkema" repeats "Riff" What I said in spanish.

His pronunciation is so damn wrong I burst into laughter. He looks confused. "Did i say something funny?" "I means 'get your hands off me'" I giggle. "Riff".

I kinda like it. Saying his name.

"So, what do you want?" With his hands in his pockets he follows me as I cross the street. "You were pretty bold yesterday."

With an ungood feeling, I tense up. Unvoluntarily, I take a look over my shoulder. And I was right with my supposition. Three jet boys follow us casually. I discover two more before us and at our left and right respectively four. They encircled me.

I look back at Riff. "What, are you scared to take on with me alone, coward?" He gives me an upset look. "Be careful with your words, love" "Stop calling me that!"

"What am I supposed to call you?" he asks smirking. "Queen, maybe" I say provocative. "Meets well" he says mockingly. "Since I'm the king" "In your dreams"