two

When I come home, I am out of breath since I hurried to out block. Trying to calm myself down, I close my eyes for a second or two, then open it and open the front door.

Bernardo must not know. If he would, he would probably stop me from working at Milly's and that is the last thing I want. He is always so protective and that is kind of good, in a way, but I want to have my freedom. I need my freedom.

So, I will act as if nothing happend.

As if I would not have had an argument with the gang leader of the jets himself.

"Hola everyone" I smile as I step in the room. "Thank God!" I hear Anitas voice that sounds in relief. She runs towards ne, looking both faciliated and and angry. Immediately, she pulls me into a hug. "Where have you been?"

"At Milly's" I answer correctly. "Milly made me work longer because I was so late"

With a relieved voice Anita strokes her hand across her forehead. "I was so worried. It's dangerous at this time in the streets" "What?" I ask skeptical. "Everyone's in the streets at this time" "Dangerous for Bernardos sister" she says with a meaningful expression. "The jets are out there at this time. I hope you didn't meet them"

"I saw them, but-" I hurry to continue as I see the unhappy look on Anitas face. "I'm alright, I didn't talk to them, they have no idea that I'm Bernardos sister, you can calm down"

She does, even if she still seems worried. "Do you want something to eat? You missed lunch" "Yes, thanks Anita" I say.

"Where's Maria?" "Oh, she's pouting." Anita replies. "Because of the dress, y'know?" Yeah, I know. "Where's Bernardo?" I ask. "You know I want a red dress. And I'm nineteen, he can't forbid it to me"

"He's out with the sharks" Anita says. "You can talk to him later. At the Moment, he's maybe busy with cutting the jet boys to size"

I hope he wipes the grin out of the jet leaders face.

"Is Gabriel with him?" I ask as I sit down at the table.

I feel like I can talk to Gabriel without the risk he tells it to Bernardo, even if Bernardo is his leader. Gabriel is my best friend. He would never reveal my secrets.

"Yes, he is" Anita says. "He was asking for you" With a blink she gives me a plate with lunch. "You're going with him to the dance, aren't you?"

"Well, doesn't seem like I have a choice" I say pissed. "But you like Gabriel, what's the matter?" Anita asks. "Well, I don't like him in that way, you know?" I sight. "It feels wrong if we act as if we were a couple" "In Bernardos mind, you are", Anita says and takes a seat next to me. I roll my eyes. "Ugh, I know. And it's awful. He doesn't like that too"

"Gabriel?" Anita grins. "Have you ever seen how he looks at you?" "We're just friends!" I say vigorous. "As you say" Anita grins.

Annoyed I begin to eat. When another question drops in my mind, I decide to change the subject.

"Do you know what the Name of the jet leader is?", I ask as casually as I can. "Why?" Anita asks irritated. "Just ... y'know, know your enemie and stuff"

She's still suspicious, I can see it in her eyes, but still answers the question.

"Raff, I think" she says.

Raff.

What a stupid name.

Who the hell wants to be called Raff?

"When was the dance again?", I ask when I finish my meal. "Sunday"

Today is Wednesday so I have still enough time to convince Bernardo so that he will allow me the red dress I want so badly.

"I'm gonna talk to Maria, okay?" I ask and stand up. "Okay" Anita says. "I'm out" "Where are you going?" "The studio. I'll be back late. Bringing Bernardo home"

"Anita, please, I beg you, try to convince him so I can wear a red dress" I implore. "I'll try my best" she grins. "Thank you so much, Anita!" I laugh happily. "Adiós!"

"Englisch!"

"Alright, bye!"

"Bye, Cam!"

▪︎▪︎▪︎

When I open the door to Marias room, I see her, lying on her bed with an angry expression. She stares at the ceiling frustrated and ignores the sound of the opening door.

She thinks it is unfair. I know that. That I will maybe get my red dress, while she has to wear a white one. Younger siblings.

"Hey Maria"

She lets out a moan. "What do you want?" "Oh come on little sister, you're not gonna hate me because of a dress." "I do not hate you" she says outraged. "But it's unfair" "I know, i know" I say. "But ... just look at the bright side of the whole situation" "That would be?"

I walk towards her bed and sit down next to her. With a smile I run my fingers through her straight hair.

"Just imagine all the handsome boys and girls, imagine the dancing, the music..."

"Imagine the stupid gang rival stuff..."

"It's just dancing, Bernardo promised" I remember her. "He doesn't want us to get into the gang stuff. Why else would he want you to go with Chino?"

She just shruggs and turns to me. "You're going with Gabriel, right?" "Yeah... I mean, With Gabriel or alone" I say. "And coming alone to a dance... no thanks" "Well, we could go together" Maria grins and we both start laughing.

"I bet we could dance even better together than with Chino or Gabriel" I grin and Maria giggles. "I'd like to see Bernardos face"

"I think everything's okay as long as we don't dance with some gringos. Not that difficult, I suppose"