Chapter 3 - Willing to Do

Alison: "WHAT?!"

Olivia: "Shh... don't alert June."

Alison: "Liv, you've come up with some damn crazy ideas in the time I've known you. Ideas that include stealing from the guards, escaping, even assassinating June... but this is just insane."

Olivia: "What's so insane about it?"

Alison: "Cross dress and pose as a boy to get sent to the men's prison?!"

Olivia: "Shh... yes. Listen, sweetheart... I just put the idea out there. The choice is entirely yours."

Alison: "I... I don't..."

Olivia: "If you're having trouble deciding on what to do, ask yourself... how far are you willing to go to see..."

Alison: "To see Honey again..."

She stood up.

Olivia: "Think about what you want to do, Alison. I'll help you either way."

Alison: "...Thanks, Liv."

She kissed my forehead and left. As my back hit the mattress, I felt myself get completely lost in thought.

Alison: 'How far am I willing to go...? Let's... let's weigh the pros and cons here... I'd get to go to where Honey was sent. I'd get to see him every day. And... I've always wanted to kiss someone... someone I love romantically...'

My cheeks went bright pink and I smiled. But it faded as I thought of the cons.

Alison: 'But... if I go... I'll have to leave Olivia behind... she's cared so much for me for the past few years... and... I'd be going to the guy's prison... pretending to be someone I'm not... Would Honey even recognise me? Plus, what if I don't even make it there? What if June catches me and throws me into solitary... that chicks got some kinda sixth sense, it's friggen creepy......... no! I can't let June scare me off! That- that's just a rumour...'

Tears filled my eyes as the realization hit me.

Alison: "There's too many cons... I don't think I can do it..."

A couple days later, at work...

June: "Building 11 is working in the mailing department today. Cells 1 to 5, you lot will be checking for contrabands. Cells 6 to 10, you lasses will be sorting. Mail for guards in this box and mail for inmates in that box..."

She went on until every cell was assigned a job.

June: "Get to it!"

Building 11 Inmates: "Ma'am!"

I went and found Olivia. Because I'm in cell 7 and she's in cell 9, we're both in sorting today. Everyone got to work.

Olivia: "What's the matter, kid? Why do you seem down?"

Alison: "Nothing... I've just been thinking about what you suggested... been weighing the pros and cons... and... I- I'm still thinking..."

Olivia: "It's alright, Ali. I had to figure out who my heart lies with."

Alison: "Your girlfriends."

Olivia: "That's right. I love Rei and Gabbi so much, I would do anything for them. But now you get to decide who your heart lies with. And there's no pressure, sweety. None at all."

I smiled. Liv always knew what to say to make me feel good. We kept working until Olivia picked up an envelope and stared at it.

Alison: "What is it?"

Olivia: "It's for you, Ali."

Alison: "Hmph... it's probably just another priest wanting to exorcise me. Honestly, you burn down a couple churches and everyone thinks you're Satan's spawn or some shit."

Olivia: "Return Address: Nanba Prison, Sea of Japan."

I dropped everything and stared at her. She smiled, teasingly.

Olivia: "Hm, I wonder who that could be."

Alison: "Liv!"

Olivia: "Haha, alright. But you can't open it here. Not where June could come around the corner at any second."

Alison: "Kay... I'll read it after work."

Back in my cell, after work, I stared at the envelope in hesitation. Olivia was back in her cell, but I could almost hear her in my head.

Olivia: 'What are you waiting for? Open it already!'

I giggled at the thought and opened it. I read...

Alison, I know you may think I've forgotten about you because 'a pretty boy's mind is always swimming with women', but in truth, I've thought of nothing but you since we last laid eyes. What I'm trying to say is I miss you. I want to see you again. Maybe I'm overthinking this because you trusted me enough in the end to tell me your name. But I'm hoping you feel the same way. Did I overhear your warden say that you'll be released soon? You could come visit me then. I'd love nothing more than to see you again, to talk to you again, to see your smile and hear your laugh. Honey 💜

A few tears fell onto the letter. I gently wiped them off.

Alison: "Visiting room...... that's not good enough."