Chapter 21

"Dont leave school early today" a text comes through from Alice. I wonder what's that about so I reply "why?"

"don't worry about it sweetheart" okay I guess I have to take up Mandisa on that offer to keep her company this afternoon as she uses the school computer and WIFI to apply for universities. The bell rings and school is out, I walk out of class and wait for Mandisa and Kim to come out of class as well.

Me: so guess who's staying this afternoon

I say with a very cheery smile

Mandisa: no ways what happened? Youre always in a rush to go home, what's happening today?

Me: hawu kill me for being kind and wanting to keep you company

Mandisa: mm okay lets go, Kim?

Kim: yeah I'm coming ill find you guys there

She says walking to her girlfriend

Mandisa: I don't know what Kim sees in that girl hey

Me: stop it

I say pulling her hand as we walk to the computer lab.

I've been waiting for over 20 minutes now and still no update from Alice. "How long do I have to wait for?" I send the text.

"Patience mammie" I love this newly found nickname she's been calling me with. I wait a bit longer and another text comes through 5 minutes later "come outside the school yard" I blush like a retard while reading the text. I'm finally going to meet her after 8 months of only speaking over the phone. I always liked her from the first day we started talking but I also respected the fact that we were both in relationships but what harm could a little fun cause?

I walked out of the school gate with both my friends and there she stood, I had never met her face to face before but it was easy to spot her among her 2 friends that she stood with. As I walked over to her I took in her appearance, hairstyle I hated, beautiful body, and thick, same skin colour as mine except hers is more perfect. Her friends welcome me in a warm embrace and she's the last to hug me, one of the most if not only best hug I had ever received. I lost myself in her arms and wished to stay there forever. I pull out and she smiles at me and I cant help but return it. "Youre taller than I expected" I figure that statement doesn't need my response so I introduce my friends and she does the same.

Me: you want to get ice cream?

Alice: sure

We walk to McDonalds but my friends go home. I sit down with her friends on the tables outside while she orders the ice creams. They seem like cool people and theres no awkward ness. Alice comes back a while later with 4 ice cream cones and I signal for her to sit next to me and she does. The more I observe her the more I realise how beautiful she is and I become very obsessed with her perfect shaped body. I find myself drooling over her until I notice her making eye contact with me, I decide to keep it, she licks her lips and that whole movement drives me insane "please dont do that" I mumble in frustration but I guess she heard me anyway because she chuckled and turned to join a conversation with her friends, I decide to do the same as I lick the melted ice cream dripping at the bottom of the cone.

An hour later we decide to call a cab. The ride home is very eventful as Alice finally blurts out I know who your girlfriend is just then before I could respond to her, a text from Ronda comes through "babe" I quickly try to clear it from my notifications but not fast enough because Alice noticed the message was from Ronda "no need to hide princess" busted.

The cab gets to my street and I drop off and leave my share of the payment to Alice because she hasnt reached her destination. Walking to the gate I cant help but think about everything that transpired and a sense of guilt hovers me, I completely forgot I was in a relationship the moment I laid my eyes on Alice so I decide to text Ronda and tell her about my day

"I think we should break up" her message reads. I stand still trying to process this text, I remove my glasses in case I need a new prescription and theyre just deceiving me. "Why? Because of Alice?" I reply. "Im really sorry Zola, I thought I could do this but I cant, I dont trust Alice, she might tell Eva and mess up everything. Im sorry that things have to end like this. I hope you wont hate me" she responds. I read the text over and over again, I feel my sting in my chest and its painful. Its not losing her that hurts, its the fact that I will be alone again, I will be lonely, and I wont have anyone to look forward to texting again. Its the feeling of being alone that I hated, being without her meant going back to that feeling and I couldnt let it happen but for that moment I just went to bed to calm the sting in my chest and funny enough I didnt have any tears to cry, the feeling was numb. I took my phone and deleted Alice's number, switched off my phone and put it in the charger then allowed sleep to consume me.

The following day at school was depressing for me, I was miserable. I missed Ronda and being without her felt like hell. The last time I felt this way was 2 years ago when Eva found out about me and Taelo. Except this time its different, I didnt do anything wrong, Ronda just chose friendship over her happiness, all that for someone who wouldnt think twice about doing her wrong if tables were turned.