118 | Hinted Past

MAX STARES AT THE horizon in front of him, the wind blowing hard that it accidentally blew his cap off his head. Max immediately turns around to catch it, but thankfully Gavriil was able to grab it for him before it could fly further.

     "The wind is strong today," Gavriil says as he puts the cap back on Max's head before sitting beside him on the ground.

     "A storm must be coming," a voice then adds, and Max looks behind him and spots Cindy approaching them with a basket filled with snacks.

     Max thanks Gavriil and adjusts his cap before looking back at Cindy who placed the basket on the ground. "Is it a good idea for us to have a picnic at this hour? It's already past nine."

      "Don't be such a baby Leigh. Are you afraid that bugs will bite you? Want me to call your butler?" another voice says, and Max looks back and sees Viktor holding a blanket this time.

     "Why do you always have to be so mean Vi?" Max asks with a pout, making Cindy and Gavriil chuckle.

     "You should get used to him by now Leigh. We've been friends since you were five. Little Vi has always been a little troublesome. And besides, that's his way of saying he cares," Cindy says as she started helping Viktor put the blanket on the ground so they could start with their picnic.

     "Who you calling little?" Viktor angrily asks. "Just because you're a giant Cindy, doesn't mean you can call people like us little."

    "People like us? For what I know, you're the only one who I call little,' Cindy continues to tease.

    Viktor was about to say something else, but Gavriil finally stands beside Max and pull Viktor by his collar. "Alright, that's enough. Let's just get this ready."

     Gavriil helped with the blanket too, and when it was finally ready, the four of them took a seat on the floor. Cindy then takes the basket and starts handing the snacks out to everyone. "I baked these all myself. I hope you guys like it. I also brought tea since I know it's going to be chilly," she says as Max, Viktor, and Gavriil stared at the beautifully decorated slices of cake that Cindy prepared for them.

     "I hope it's not poisonous," Viktor then says, making Cindy hit his head with a fork.

     Viktor winced, but he didn't say anything anymore as he starts taking a bite of the cake. When he was able to taste it, his eyes widened from shock as he looked at Cindy and asked, "Is this strawberry-flavored?"

     "Yeah, it's you're favorite, right?" Cindy asks, and Viktor excitedly nods his head as he continued eating the cake.

     Cindy smiles in delight before taking out the rest of the food from the basket. While everyone was busy, Gavriil takes a chocolate cake a takes a bite of it too. When he looked back at Max, he couldn't help but laugh when he sees icing on the side of Max's mouth.

     "You really are the youngest in our group," Gavriil says as he pulls out a handkerchief to wipe the icing off. 

     While Gavriil was helping Max out, Cindy and Viktor glanced at each other before smiling at themselves.

     "So..." Viktor asks as he leans towards Gavriil. "When's the engagement?"

     The questions immediately made Gavriil pull away from Max, while Max hid his face away because of embarrassment.

     "Imagine this, a Lemieux and an Alexeev, getting married and joining families. You two will be the strongest couple in the world!" Viktor exclaimed, making Cindy laugh even louder.