Fifteen

Fifteen

I honestly cannot believe that I have been able to perform in all the places that I have performed

I honestly cannot believe that I have been able to perform in all the places that I have performed. Granted that the places were not that great but the small crowds that cheered and the different artists I was on the road with painted a perspective of what it means to be an artist.

But now school is back and it is my only focus, well sort of. I mean I still feel like fame might be too much for me but I also love singing. I love it the same way I used to love it when I was a little girl daydreaming about being something through my voice.

Ridley convinced me to have an official Instagram account, I agreed because he offered to handle it for me. That meant he took candid pictures of me and posted them online where I got to see them the same way others saw them, as in without a preview. We even did weekly videos of me covering songs of different artists. Last week I covered a song by one of my favorite Tanzanian artists, Vanessa Mdee.

I had plans to go on another road tour after this year ended as well but before then I had to have a few more songs out. All the other artists I met were like a whole new addition to my life. They would randomly call me to check on me, more often than not they would ask me to do some back vocals for them. One of them, Von, a kid two years younger than me and the one with the most followers among us all asked me to sing for him last month.
He released the track and even put my name on the credits as he released it on itunes and spotify. It was my first official track so I was very happy when I heard it managed to get 1,000 plays on it's first day. I was still clueless enough to not ask on which platform, something Ridley ridiculed me on.

But ever since that happened, my name and Von's have been appearing on a lot of posts. Von is even doing radio enterviews, local radio enterviews but it's still something.

I on the other hand am keeping to my routine. I still do vocal exercises twice a week, I do my classes, and talk to Nicolai late at night. I text my friends back home (Aisha is pregnant and Saleh is the father) and have Jollof with John on Wednesdays. Life is good and I am so busy with both school and my music career that I barely have time to panic about Nikolai.

It's been so long since we even had a fight. I mean, a fight fight. We can still argue about certain things, like the guy in all my Instagram stories (to which I countered with at least he knows who I'm with).

I'm twenty two and he is twenty seven, I know now that he will never think I'm old enough. To him, some of my actions will always seem childish. So I try not to let it bother me when he says "You're so young,"

Pretty soon I'll be the age he was when we first met. But even then he'll be the calm one, the adult. I'll never be the composed one.

I try not to think of that as I make my way around the apartment. I'm still living in the same place. It's longest I've ever been anywhere apart from Ma's place in Tandale and my Uncle’s. It feels like home so I always make sure I treasure it, that and the fact that I'm constantly entertaining keeps me on my toes.