Harbinger

You are six when Uchiha Sasuke is finally born.

While Mikoto is getting her much-needed rest from her labor, Itachi takes charge of holding his (your) little brother, the infant silent as he sleeps his fatigue away. Seeing the two brothers in such a domestic state didn't at the very least make you temporarily forget the future tragedy that would befall on them; in fact, it only made the reminder louder in your thoughts.

Poor little brother is oblivious to how much this world and his own brother will damn him. You almost pity him...

Almost.

After all, it's Itachi who was the most damned in this god-forsaken family.

You continue to stare at the bundled newborn in your twin's arms, your brows furrowing and heart wrenching at the singular thought haunting your mind.

... Was I that ugly when I was a baby?

~*~*~

"Ne, Itachi, can I try holding Sasuke?"

"No."

"What?! Why?"

"He almost choked on a pop rock."

"I promised I wouldn't do it again!"

"It's only been a few months since he was born, yet you gave him a hard candy."

"It was only one teensy-tiny grain! It should've instantly dissolved on his tongue!"

"Yet he choked on it."

"... The sound he made was kinda funny, though..."

"That is why I'm not leaving Sasuke with you."

"Yeah, okay, fair."

~*~*~

It's October 10.

Knowing what's about to come, instead of spending your night in solitude like you usually do, you opt to stay by the house's engawa; specifically, beside Itachi, and by extension, Sasuke.

Oh? Is it time? You think curiously to yourself with a soft hum, feeling goosebumps crawling up your arms, when a cool, ominous autumn breeze passed by.

Sasuke starts crying, Itachi tries calming him, and you proceed to stand up from your seat to stretch your muscles.

Not-so-faraway, Kurama appears from a summoning cloud with vengeful rage under the full moon's light.

"That is our cue to go," you say mid-stretch, as you faintly hear people panic from a distance.

Itachi stands up with you, expecting you to watch his (and Sasuke's) back as the both of you would head towards the village shelter. Unfortunately for him, you have a different plan in mind, and you wish that Itachi wouldn't realize it sooner until you both arrive there.

Getting a tight grip on his free arm, you lead him to the opposite direction of the evacuation route.

"K-Kama, the shelter is that way!" You feel your foolish younger brother resist from your pull, as he forlornly looks at the direction where the majority of the citizens are headed. Not wanting to waste time arguing with him, you tell him the first thing that comes into your mind, and just hope you won't have to knock him out.