Lover (Part 2)

Sorry for the late update, I revised and rewrote a lot of scenes. I feel like my writing quality is declining a bit but that's probably just my impostor syndrome talking lmao

As an apology, here's a hint of Kama's identity crisis: Kama and the person in his last life are only one soul; however, they are not the same person. There are times they will overlap, though. Interpret that as you will, but I will expound on that in his interlude. It's just my take on reincarnation with past memories lol ^^

~*~*~

You've always been an observant boy, with eyes that tend to linger on small details hiding big clues, on subtle elements that are easily overlooked– that, more often than not, decide your next move (of whether to let yourself be seen or hide from sight). You've learned to look for tells, to memorize one's habits, to want to simply know because just in case.

(You had to, even before living this life.)

You watch, you think, you act.

You learn, you predict, you adapt.

It's a clockwork model your body and mind follows and you have no intention of changing it, regardless of your different upbringing.

(It's born out of necessity because you always have to be careful, careful, careful and quiet and watch your reaction and don't make her angrier–)

Your owls, on the other hand...

The thing about your owls is that they only watch the tragedies that befall on your life.

You wouldn't let them do anything else.

They only watched when you let Kushina off with a vague warning; they only watched when you led Itachi away from saving Izumi; they only watched when Obito's blade struck you down; and once again, they only watched when Danzo ripped Shisui's eye off from its socket.

But when Shisui escaped, your summons called for you.

~*~*~

Back then, you've always been weak to the sun– to its heat and its brightness, with your too-pale skin that's susceptible to sunburns, and too-sensitive eyes that's easily blinded by light.

In this life, in your foreign yet familiar body, you're weak to fire. Your weakness ranges from your Wind Chakra Nature having Fire as its natural enemy, to your burning, consuming emotions that are gradually leading you to your self-destruction. You find it ironic that you're born in a clan of fire-breathers.

Perhaps you've always been destined to do so poorly against anything that has something to do with the embodiment of passion and rage and life. It was an act of unconditional love that did you in from your last life; so, it's only expected for the same to end you in this one.

But not yet, you tell yourself, even when the Uchiha fire inside you licks and gnaws at your patience and self-control to just let it all out and killhimkillhimKILLDANZO–

This is not the first time your flames enticed you to give in to your impulses; to tempt you to do what you've always wanted to be done. You may be weak to fire, but you've been exposed to it enough to learn how to resist it.

That's why it's like second nature to reign in the madness that's boiling just underneath your skin; to tamp down the pattern of a flower from blooming into your red eyes; to just watch as Shisui, poisoned and exhausted, runs for his life and remaining eye.