Liar (Part 1)

This is Hyuuga Natsu

This is Hyuuga Natsu. She's not really canon, and she showed up in filler, like, once lol. Anyway, enjoy!

~*~*~

        Itachi is eight when he awakens his sharingan; when he grieves for the first time. Two tomoe spin mockingly within the pair of blood red pools, as he recalls his teammate's death with perfect clarity.

        He tells you of his deceased teammate's name which was Tenma; of their first impressions and their relationship's development. He tells you of his other teammate, Shinko, who decided that the shinobi life was not for her; of how he's the only member left in his cell.

        He tells you of the masked man who ambushed them; the man who killed Tenma.

        You don't know why he's telling you this, instead of telling Shisui. Shisui would know what to say, how to comfort him better. You surely don't.

        So after Itachi finishes confiding in you, you thoughtfully hum and say the first thing that comes to mind,

        "I see... That's rough, buddy."

        You ignore the single teardrop that trails down Itachi's cheek.

        As if sensing his distress, Sasuke crawls over Itachi's lap then affectionately snuggles his chubby face on his chest. Itachi embraces him to reciprocate the affection.

        Looking back at it, the three of you once sat exactly like this--before Kurama attacked; on an autumn night, on your old house's engawa, with Itachi coddling Sasuke, and you keeping your distance.

        Time sure flies. It feels just like yesterday.

        (Tick, tock, tick, tock, the timer continues its countdown.)

        "Have you awakened your sharingan yet?" Itachi quietly asks you, phrasing it like it's only a matter of time and not of chance. He sounds confident that you'd attain it one day, if not already.

        You guess you can see why he's certain about it. After all, you are brothers-- twins, even. You have whatever he has and vice-versa.

        (But that's not entirely true now, is it?)

        With a shameless smile, you lie.

~*~*~

        It's now common occurrence for Sasuke to be left alone with you. You have nothing better to do anyway.

        "Did you know there's a saying that children who don't look like their parents were delivered by a demon? They call them Onikko," you tell the two-year-old sprawled all over your lap.

        Sasuke only babbles in an attempt to repeat what you just said.

        "Ne, Sasuke, do I look like a demon to you?" You ask him, not really expecting an answer. "Who do you think I resemble the most in our family? Even just a tiny bit?"