Chapter 13: Barking Dog

Behind the cold mask, Kyro is seething with anger and frustration. Stripped of all sense of self-respect and freedom, he now serves as nothing but a puppet for the CIA, and he hates that. It's another reason why he never sought out a job with the police force in the end. In the hierarchy, there were far too many people above him. He had been his own boss as a private investigator, but now this bastard, this Grant guy, is pulling his strings.

Kyro stands tall as Grant hands him the necessary documents and wants nothing more than to knock this guy out, free Vanessa, and flee as far away from here as possible. But he can't do that, so he focuses on the documents in his hands. He opens one to find that it contains photographs of each floor and every room in the facility. He holds up one photo of the accounting department and analyzes their offices as he takes deep breaths to calm himself down. It works, luckily, so that Kyro can direct his attention to the task at hand.

There can't be any errors. He is well aware that this is his only opportunity to capture the killer. He's been chasing after this person for so long, with only a handful of clues. And, even though he has recently been getting closer on his own, he will not let this opportunity pass him by. He won't look a gift horse in the mouth. It just upsets him that he is this close because of rats from the CIA.

Is anyone still in the building? Late-night workers? Cleaning crew? " He asks Kyro questions so he knows what he is getting into and wants to cover all of his bases. He'd rather not run into anyone when he is there.

"The office should be closed now. As far as we are aware everyone has been given the day off to celebrate their boss being recognized at the State of the Union Address tomorrow. That includes the cleaning crew too."

"As far as you know?"He asks, hesitantly.

"Indeed, that's the information we have." Grant scoffs at Kyro, and Kyro nods appeased. His job is going to be a hell of a lot easier if the offices are empty. He's just going to go in and get out quickly and quietly.

All of the accounting department offices are on one floor. There are no other departments on that floor, so it is a pretty simple task. The only thing is that there are quite a few cubicles clustered together, so it's going to take Kyro a while before he can search through all of the documents to find the ones he needs. In any case, it's a risky job, but he can't exactly back out of it. He's just going to have to be extra careful.

He sighs at the same time as Grant shoves his hand into Kyro's line of sight. In his open palm is a small earpiece. "It's so that we can update you on the situation." If anyone shows up, or if there is a problem, if you need to get away, that sort of thing. It makes sense, and even if Kyro doesn't trust the agent more than he can throw him, it is somewhat comforting to know that he will be warned of anything strange happening, so Kyro accepts it and puts it in his ear. He checks all of his gear once more, just in case, before he looks up at Grant, a glare in place.

Just one more thing: Vanessa, Is she safe? You haven't done anything to her? "

"We would never harm her." Grant defends.

I don't believe you. You've harmed her already just by kidnapping her. "

"Then why ask if you aren't going to believe what I say?" Grant asks, curious.

"Because I want to trust you. Because if she is in any way hurt, you should know that you aren't making it out of this alive." Kyro emphasizes his words by stabbing a finger into Grant's chest. The other man doesn't flinch away, takes it in stride.

Whether you believe it or not, you have my word that she will be released to you as soon as you finish this mission. Grant says, with a grin.

"I don't know if I believe that either, but..." he trails off, giving Grant a long, piercing stare. He puts his mask on before continuing. I guess I'll find out if I can trust you. And I guess you'll find out if you'll live. " He stays there for a second longer, using intimidation to add weight to his threats. The man's grin doesn't falter, but it shakes a bit, just like the man himself looks a bit shaken. He isn't as fully unaffected as he was pretending to be then. Good. Kyro vanishes in the next moment.