Chapter 23: See You Cowboy

Julius Moore was his first ally. In the beginning, that's all he was to Miles, but he soon grew into something more. A friend, a confidant, a supporter. Julius had originally been a priest.

When he first saw Miles' powers, he had fallen to his knees, staring at Miles in awe. He then proclaimed that God must have given Miles his abilities. that he was meant to use them for the greater good.

And Miles was the one who had done it. He had fulfilled that role "God" had given him. After so many years, after they started the charity, after they gathered more and more supporters, the new world they dreamed of was finally achieved. The world that they had created was vastly better than the corrupt shithole that they resided in. Julius used to say that hell had its firm grip on this world, and it was Miles' job to pry the devil's hands off of it. He had done it; he had saved the world. But the world was also one friend shorter.

Miles stared at the name of the man engraved on the wall in front of him. His friend's name, the one he put in, thereby taking away Julius' life. Guilt eats at him as he stares at his hands, the ones that killed Julius. It was necessary for a better future, yes, but still, he feels guilty. He misses the man, a steady presence at his side, a charming leader, and an even better supporter. And Miles killed Julius, but it was necessary, he kept repeating to himself. There was no other way, he knew.

The memorial was the first thing he wanted to be constructed. I want to remember all of the ones that have given their lives so that the rest of them can thrive. They are so much better off due to their sacrifice. He used to walk along with it almost weekly as the site was being constructed. He comes to remember, takes a walk along the pillars, tries to imprint as many names as he can into his memory, even just for a moment, before they slip away.

This time, however, he does not get to move away from the name of Julius Moore because a man appears in front of him, out of thin air, shocking Miles and the family neighboring him. It's an instinct that his flames appear on his skin as protection against sudden danger. The man in front of him scowls deeply, and despite the ugly scars, it's a face Miles recognizes, a face he thought perished in the flames at DC.

The man is close enough to grab Miles' hat and rip it off his head, revealing his face in full. The moment his face is fully visible, the other man screams and grabs at Miles.

It seems like the man doesn't even care that Miles is covered in flames, doesn't care if they hurt him. As he violently shakes him, streams of curses pour from his mouth. Miles doesn't even have much time to articulate what is happening, as he is suddenly overwhelmed by a nauseating feeling, his entire world twisted upside down. The feeling is so bad that the moment it stops, Miles doubles over and vomits onto the sand.

It takes him a second to register that there is sand on the ground and not the stone pathway that leads between the memorial walls. Wiping his mouth with his sleeve, Miles looks up and around, realizing that he is currently somehow in some sort of desert, the screaming man standing above him, staring down.

The man must have been the one to bring him here; there is no other explanation. It clicks when he finally connects with who this guy is. "I've heard of you," Miles says, a smug grin taking over his face. Julius mentioned rumors from a janitor, saying that he had seen a masked figure sneaking around our offices. Then came the reports of the CIA having an outside asset involved in investigating our organization, which was highly classified. That must have been you. " Miles concludes, but the other man doesn't confirm nor deny it, just glares daggers at Miles, still low on the ground.

What do you look like, a government agent? Did they send you here to kill me? " A strong kick launches him backward before he can ask any more questions. His flames cry out to be let free, to hurt the one who is hurting Miles, but he reels them in. He is interested and he wants answers. Luckily, he doesn't have to repeat himself, as the man decides that he has had enough of silence.