Chapter 18: The Revival

Terry walks out of his office, clocking out after a long day at work. He's had the daylight shift, which usually brings about a larger crowd of people for him to deal with. It's already pretty late. The only other person present is his colleague Emma, who is passed out in her office, on-call if necessary, but resting till she is needed.

Terry goes to switch off the lights in his office, almost forgetting to do that. But just as he flicks it off, a man's voice calls out his name from behind. It scares Terry out of his mind, and he turns around, aiming to swing at whoever decided to break into the medical examiner's office. His fist is almost in the man's face as his brain finally recognizes the voice and realizes who the man is.

Terry unclenches his fist but doesn't stop his arm movement, instead directing it around the other man in a tight embrace.

"I assumed you were dead," Terry says, as Kyro raises his hands to embrace Terry.

"I thought I was dead as well," Kyro mumbles, his face smushing into Terry's shoulder. Terry pushes him back but doesn't let him move far away. He keeps a tight grip on his shoulders as he looks him over.

The first time I get to see your face, it's ruined by burn scars. What, you thought my old ego couldn't handle seeing your handsome, youthful face, so you thought you'd give me the chance to still be the best-looking person in the room? Because I have to tell you, my old face is still not a match for yours. " Terry's teasing causes a small chuckle to burst out of Kyro, but it doesn't last long before his expression turns back to a more desolate one. "What happened to you, boy?" Terry asks, his voice filled with concern as he takes in Kyro's demeanor.

"I'm not really a boy. I'm almost thirty now." Kyro dodges the question for a second, needs a moment to collect himself and think about how to explain everything that has happened.

"You're a boy in comparison to me."My old bones have been on this planet for at least twice as long as you have been. " Terry lets him have his moment, and Kyro is immensely grateful to the man.

Could we speak in your office? It's a rather long story.

"Of course, it will be more comfortable, that's for sure." Terry leads the way back inside, stopping to flick the lights back on again. Would you like anything to drink? Coffee, tea, water? "

"Nothing, please."You can sit down; there's no need to fret over me. "

"I will fret however much I want, young man," Terry says as he crosses his arms.

Kyro's

"What?" he asked. Terry asked, bewildered.

"The name is Kyro Roof, not a young man." He says this with a small smile, holding out a hand to Terry. Recognition grows on Terry's face, and he smiles back, reaching out to shake Kyro's hand.

McGuiness, TerryBut you already knew that and you never used it, and I'm not going to fool myself that you're going to start using it now. "

Oh, you're right; I'm not going to. I prefer geezers and old men. "

Always a snobbish brat. Would you like to tell me what happened now? " Terry inquires, sitting down in his chair across from Kyro.

"I attended the State of the Union."Kyro starts and Terry gasps. Oh lord, Well, that certainly explains your wounds. " Kyro nods and continues with his story.

A couple of days before that, I was contacted by the CIA to help him catch a murderer. Our murderer They had figured out that the man had to be connected to the Second Enlightenment movement, and our best bet was that it was Julius Moore. "