Chapter 19: Survivors

Teleporting is as easy and as natural for him as it always is, but for a second after he reappears, he thinks that there must be something wrong with his powers. Instead of Grant's office, Kyro is standing in the middle of an interrogation room with a long desk, two chairs opposite each other, and a two-way mirror on the wall. Fear courses through him at the thought of his powers failing now when he needs them the most. They are the only thing that can help him finally get a hold of Miles.

His brain catches up quickly, though, and he realizes that Donovan hadn't been the only one to use dummy rooms. Back when he had first been in this room, when it contained an office desk, comfortable chairs, and even a computer, Kyro had gotten the feeling that something was wrong. It had taken him a bit to pinpoint it, but the feeling of being watched, and not by Grant, made him extra vigilant, made him pay very close attention. He had realized then that there was something wrong with the walls, that someone was most likely watching him from the other side. Now all his doubts are confirmed.

The room is thankfully empty of any suspects or agents, but Kyro doubts it will remain empty of the latter for much longer. He moves towards the two-way mirror, and the camera in the corner follows him. Someone knows he is here, so that means someone will show up soon.

He'd rather not deal with any other agent but Grant. He'd rather not deal with Grant either, but the man is crucial to the investigation, so he is preferable. As if summoned by Kyro's thoughts, the man himself barges through the door.

At first glance, Grant looks the same as when Kyro first saw him, but then Kyro takes a better look and sees that the explosion in DC did not leave the agent unscathed. There are red scars similar to Kyro's own, creeping down the right side of Grant's neck.

The man is leaning against the door with one hand, gasping for breath as if he had just run a marathon. Kyro can see that the hand is fully covered in scars too and that there's even a finger missing. Kyro goes to say something, but Grant lifts his hand to stop him. It takes several more seconds until the man gets his breathing under control.

"Do you know how hard I had to run to get here as quickly as I did?" Grant asks, finally standing up straight. Kyro eyes him up and down before answering.

I'm going to have to say either very hard or not very hard at all, and you're just out of shape.

Grant narrows his eyes but ignores the comment and asks instead. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Looking for you, unfortunately," Kyro responds by crossing his arms in front of him.

What about me? Well, here I am. " Grant opens his arms wide when he says it, and Kyro rolls his eyes.

I'm surprised you came in, honestly. I thought that whoever was looking through that camera would have alerted someone higher in the food chain than you. " Kyro can't resist the jab. Grant ignores comments on that too, but his eyes narrow in annoyance.

"The agent that is currently on security camera duty recognized you. Lucky for you, he knew that I was the one who worked with you before. He decided that the smartest thing to do was to inform me. You could have been in a whole load of trouble had he informed anyone else. "

Trouble? Just for teleporting in here? " Kyro asks incredulously. You guys know, I can teleport. You specifically wanted to use my powers, so why would I get in trouble for using them to get to you? "

"A lot has happened since you were last here." Grant eyes the camera for a second before he continues, his voice lowered. "There are moles in the agency. If one had seen you... " He trails off.

Well, I guess I'm lucky that it is you and not the other way around. Remind me to send that agent a thank you basket or flowers and chocolates. " Sarcastically, Kyro says.