Chapter 15

Tuoba Yu squinted into the sun at the approaching cloaked rider. In spite of the light he recognised the set of the rider's shoulders. He felt an unexpected wave of relief wash over him, and he raised a hand in greeting.

"It's Cheng An?" Growled Jun Tao. "Did he abandon Bai Zhi?"

Tuoba Yu shook his head wordlessly. They both knew that there was only one reason why Cheng An would have left Bai Zhi behind.

As the figure on horseback approached, two more riders galloped out from the enemy camp.

"Jun Tao! Enemy riders!" Tuoba Yu called, drawing his bow. "I'll shoot the one on the left."

"Certainly." As one he and Jun Tao took aim and fired. Jun Tao's aim was true, her arrow sinking into the neck of the approaching Liu Song soldier. His short scream quickly dropped to a gurgle as he pitched backwards. His dying hands released the reins, and his mount continued to canter after Cheng An.

Tuoba Yu, weakened after the events of the last few days, missed his target. The arrow that had been intended for the other soldier's thigh missed completely and sank into the horse's heart. It fell instantly with a short scream that made the hairs on the back of Tuoba Yu's neck stand up in horror. Cheng An halted in front of them.

"We must move on quickly before the General sends scouts." Tuoba Yu said trying to distract himself from the scream echoing in his mind.

Jun Tao nocked an arrow. With a shaking hand she started to draw and raise her bow, aiming for Cheng An's heart. Cheng An's eyebrows raised, and Tuoba Yu started to step towards Jun Tao.

"Jun Tao!" Cheng An's voluminous cloak moved, and Bai Zhi's face appeared. She seemed oblivious to the danger of the moment. Jun Tao lowered her bow. "It's so good to see you're safe too!"

Jun Tao's lips trembled as she stared up at Bai Zhi's smiling eyes. "I thought you had---"

"I thought we might too, but Cheng An swore that he would get us out of the camp and to safety."

"We're not safe yet." Tuoba Yu snapped. "Jun Tao, catch that other horse, and bring it over." As she rushed to comply, he addressed Cheng An.

"Dismount. We can ride the other horse even if it's spooked."

Cheng An started to obey then stopped, and looked over his shoulder at Bai Zhi with a smile. 

"You're going to have to let go of me or I won't be able to dismount, Miss Bai Zhi."

"Oh! I..." Bai Zhi trailed off as a blush spread across her face, and disentangled herself from Cheng An's cloak.

Tuoba Yu strode towards Jun Tao as she led the surviving enemy horse towards them. Propelled by an icy rage he grabbed her free wrist with one hand, and her throat with another.

"Lady Anping asked me not to order her people around, so instead I am going to tell you a fact. If you ever draw a weapon on Cheng An without any provocation, I will have you punished. And if you do that after he has risked his life to help you, I will have you assassinated."

Rage pulsed through him, and was not extinguished by the fear in her eyes as she struggled for breath.

We both know that I'm angry enough to kill her here and now. If she were anyone else's bodyguard I might just carry through with it. Her hot-headedness is a liability for more than one reason.  If I injure her then Weiyoung will never trust me again. But if I don't defend Cheng An then I lose the closest thing I have to a friend. When did I start to care about his survival?

"I understand" Jun Tao mouthed rather than spoke the words. 

Suddenly Tuoba Yu felt a rush of nausea at himself. He released his hold on her, and rolled his shoulders in an attempt to ease the pain in them. Then he nodded at Jun Tao, and took the reins from her. He mounted the horse, and turned it to face Cheng An, who was standing beside the other horse. He and Bai Zhi were talking in low voices, serious expressions on both their faces.

"Cheng An!" Tuoba Yu called.

"Coming!" Cheng An sprinted over, and mounted the horse with an ease that Tuoba Yu envied now that he was wounded.

Jun Tao and Bai Zhi were already speeding off towards the rendezvous point, and Weiyoung. Tuoba Yu watched them go for a moment before urging his mount on to Huatai. As they galloped he turned his head slightly to hear Cheng An's voice.

"Now tell me everything about Lady Changru's visit that you left out yesterday."