A Non-Hero's Welcome

From the moment that Tuoba Yu had arrived in Huatai, he had felt nothing but bitter disappointment. Firstly, he and Cheng An had ridden into the city to the sound of its soldiers cheering their joy at Weiyoung and Tuoba Jun's success in defeating the Liu Song with minimal casualties. Cheng An, always sensitive to his master's moods, stiffened with dread as he processed the scene before him.

"Prince Nan'an, they do not know that it is you that they owe their lives, and not..." He trailed off uneasily as Tuoba Yu cleared his throat.

"Announce my arrival to my nephew, and the generals." He growled.

"Yes your highness." Cheng An dismounted swiftly, clearing Tuoba Yu's line of vision. His temper worsened by the sight before him: Weiyoung was standing beside his nephew and staring up at him as though he were the most interesting man in the world. She could barely tear her eyes away from Tuoba Jun's face to bow bestow one fleeting, uneasy smile as she bowed deeply to Tuoba Yu.

Compared to Tuoba Jun, I will always be second best in your eyes. Since you rejected my proposal months ago I have fallen even further in love with you, but compared to him, I am just a shadow flitting across the moon.

Tuoba Yu thought moodily as he accepted bowed greetings from the rest of the room.

"Please, no formalities." He forced his lips into a polite smile, hoping that he looked the very picture of an exhausted but victorious prince.

"Uncle, I have so much to thank you for." Tuoba Jun beamed back at him. "Not only have you played a key- no, the key role in defeating the Liu Song, you have also...." here Tuoba Jun's smile became slightly watery as his eyes filled with tears. "You have also protected the only woman I could ever spend the rest of my life with."

From beside his nephew, Weiyoung smiled with a radiance that Tuoba Yu had never seen before. Jealousy roiled in Tuoba Yu's stomach, making him feel as though he had consumed a pot of vinegar. He tried and succeeded in smiling benignly at them, as though touched by their mutual affection. But this feeling would have passed had it not been for the second thing.

It happened later that evening. Tuoba Yu had spent the afternoon drinking with Huatai's generals, his nephew, and Weiyoung . His expression was less carefully controlled than it had been when he had first seen Weiyoung and Tuoba Jun smiling at one another, but the first sting of emotional pain had been numbed by copious cups of good strong wine. As the generals slowly became more drunk, Tuoba Yu and his nephew had shared a silent glance of understanding. Now was the time to take their leave and allow their subordinates to drink freely and without deference to them. It was hard for commoners to feel at ease with two potential heirs to the throne sitting beside them. 

Making their excuses, the two of them rose. Weiyoung left with them, and for a moment Tuoba Yu thought that if he could stay more sober than his nephew then he would be able to outlast him, and once again spend a short while pretending that he and she were alone again. No sooner had they left the room, Weiyoung dashed those hopes by bowing solemnly.

"Your Highnesses will have much to discuss together," she began in a tone that brooked no resistance, "and I must celebrate with my dearest Jun Tao, and Bai Zhi." 

Tuoba Yu inclined his head hoping that he appeared majestic, and not tipsy. Internally he hoped that Tuoba Jun would protest enough to encourage her to stay for just one more cup of wine. As usual his nephew disappointed him.

"Of course, Weiyoung ." His nephew beamed, his breath coming out in puffs that reeked of wine. "I hope that you enjoy a night of peace with your companions. After all, you have earned it."

He tilted his head to one side in a way that made him look playful and endearing. Like a puppy hoping to have its head patted. Weiyoung smiled back at him, her chin tilting up as she looked at him.