Getting the Pawns in Place

Tuoba Yu had refused the offer of anything that could ease the pain. From past experience with pain relief he knew that poppy juice made his mind wander and led him to spill his secrets. He did not want anyone in the Li household to know what was in his mind. Li Weiyoung was too astute not to remember anything that he said, and he did not want to give away the plots that were brewing in his mind. After the last splinters of the broken arrow had been removed he lay back on the pillows, feeling utterly exhausted.

"You Highness," the doctor looked calmer now that the surgery had been successful, "you will have to rest for one week. You have lost too much blood to be moved before then."

Weiyoung stepped forward. Although she had not assisted the doctor with his surgery, Tuoba Yu had asked that she stay in the room with him and play the guqin to distract him from the pain of the operation. She looked exhausted but relieved at the doctor's declaration.

"Is there anything that the Li household can do to make the Prince's recovery smoother? We- I owe him a great debt for his heroism in rescuing me."

The doctor shook his head. "Make sure his food is simple but nourishing. Give him good warm broths, lots of meat, and cooked vegetables. I have given the medicine he needs to his manservant. Now all Prince Nan'an needs is rest."

Saying that he shepherded Weiyoung, Jun Tao, and Bai Zhi from the room. Tuoba Yu and Cheng An exchanged a glance. Cheng An crept to the door to make sure that the small knot of people had gone. Satisfied that he and his master were alone, he returned to Tuoba Yu's side and waited in silence for him to speak.

"Cheng An, my nephew has decided that Changle is guilty of nothing more than being accomplished enough to attract others' jealousy. Cheng De found no evidence of the lives that she has ruined over the years. When we return to the capital, you will ensure that there is no way of finding out about everything that Changle has done over the years."

Cheng An bowed deeply, "It will be done. But my lord... how will this turn Lady Anping from Prince Gaoyang? Forgive me for not understanding her character, but I believed that she would stay loyal to him no matter what."

Tuoba Yu smiled wryly at his servant. "It is not her whose loyalty I intend to shake."

"Ah." Cheng An nodded slowly once, turning his master's plan over in his head. "You intend to sow distrust between them so that you can turn her to your cause of becoming the next emperor."

"Exactly, I need her support." Tuoba Yu drifted off into a reverie, the ghost of a smile forming on his lips.

Imagine having her by my side for the rest of our lives. I will protect her with my last breath if it comes to it. I will never doubt her word, especially if the person casting aspersions on her is Li Changle.

Cheng An tilted his head to the side.

"Forgive me, but is there more to this?"

Tuoba Yu was brought back to reality with a crash. His eyes snapped up to Cheng An's face, and the latter bowed again and looked down.

"I should not have spoken."

Tuoba Yu knew he should cover his feelings for Weiyoung. Cheng An believed that she would never love anyone apart from his nephew, and in spite of Tuoba Yu's certainty that he would one day be able to win Weiyoung's heart, he was not the sort of man who would leave himself exposed and vulnerable by revealing his innermost feelings.

"No, I need you to know just how much is at stake." he said through gritted teeth. "We are closer, far closer than we have ever been before to achieving the ultimate prize. Prince Dongping is overplaying his hand by trying to eliminate both myself and my nephew at the same time. If Tuoba Jun and I work together, we will be able to defeat him in no time at all.