nine

TW // abuse, addiction

CHAPTER 9
[ 8702 words ]

"MISTER JAEDEN IS YOUR DADA"

violet was stunned. her mama had started crying for real this time. normally violet would've gone over to hug her, but it's like she couldn't even move.

this whole time, mister jaeden was her dada. and no one said anything?

"you're — you're allowed to have your feelings about this vi. you can be upset. i'll understand, and if you have questions you can ask me, or mister jaeden" lauren told her, wiping her tears on the sleeve of her sweater

"violet? say something. are you upset?"

"i am"

"upset with mama?" lauren asked in a whisper, keep it together lauren, she told herself. she's cried too much in front of violet.

"yeah" the toddler replied curtly, folding her arms across her chest as she furrowed her eyebrows

"why didn't you say anything right away mama?"

"violet —"

"why did you lie to me mama?" violet asked, there were tears in her eyes as well, but she didn't even know why they were there. she knew that you only cried when you were sad, but she wasn't sad. she was mad.

"i — violet i didn't —"

"you said that lying is bad. and that we shouldn't lie to the people we love. but you lied to me mama. do you not love me?"

the question 'how is this girl four' ran through everyone's minds again. they knew that there was a chance that violet was going to be upset, but they didn't expect for her to ask questions like this.

"no! of course not! baby i love you! i love you so much! more than anything in this world! i just — you wouldn't understand. not right now. but i love you, i love you so much sunshine"

"no you don't. you lied to me mama!"

"violet —"

violet couldn't understand what she was feeling, and that frustrated her. she wasn't sad, she loved mister jaeden, and was okay to have him as her dad. but her mother lied to her.

lauren always told her daughter that lying was wrong, and that she should never do it. but the fact that her mother of all people did made her angry. thank God violet didn't know the word hypocrite yet.

"violet — there's a reason. i can't explain it to you now. you're too young to understand. but that doesn't mean that i don't love you because i do! i love you so much baby."

"i'm sorry, i'm sorry i lied. i'm sorry that i didn't tell you right away. i'm so sorry. you'll understand why in time. violet, i'm so sorry"

jaeden wanted to jump in, to tell violet everything, the full story. because all this? it all stems back to his selfishness. had he not cut lauren out of his life, and told his friends that she put him through hell (even though their relationship was the exact opposite of that) then lauren wouldn't have hid violet from him.