A New Gift

"Antonio?!" Félix called out.

Not wanting to wallow, Mirabel opened her drawer and pulled out a wrapped present stencilled with designs that matched her dress. She dangled it over the bed, looking off towards nothing in particular.

"Everyone's looking for you," she sang.

Nothing.

"This present will self destruct if you don't take it in three, two, one..."

Two tiny hands popped out from under the bed, grabbing the present and then disappearing. Smiling, Mirabel made her way under the bed to join Antonio. She could tell he was anxious and she would do everything she could to help ease that.

"Nervous?," he nodded his head. "You have nothing to worry about. You're gonna get that gift and open that door and it's gonna be the coolest ever. I know it."

Antonio pondered over her words, "What if it doesn't work?"

"Well...in that impossible scenario, you'd stay in here, in the nursery with me, forever and I'd get you all to myself."

The young boy sighed, resting his head on his arms, "I wish you could have a door."

Mirabel smiled although it didn't quite reach her eyes. It hurt being the only Madrigal that had no gift but for Antonio's sake — she put on a brave face.

"You know what? You don't have to worry about me 'cause I have an amazing family and an amazing house and an amazing you. Seeing you get your special gift and your door, that's gonna make me way more happy than anything."

She walked her fingers over to the present and pulled it closer to her younger cousin, "But alas, I am going to miss having the world's best roommate."

She gestured to the present, watching as Antonio opened it and laid sight on a hand knitted Jaguar. "I know you're an animal guy and I made this so when you move into your cool new room you always have something to snuggle with."

The moment is gently cut as the house moved its floorboards to draw their attention to the time. "Alright hombrecito (little man), you ready?"

Antonio nodded ready to leave where as Mirabel grabbed her cousin — wrapping her arms around him, "Sorry, I gotta get one more squeeze."

The house then took matters into its own hand and playfully pulled Mirabel out from under the bed,"Okay okay, we're going."

~ ~

Kids were singing and cheering, lighting fireworks and holding sparklers as they made their way towards Casa Madrigal. The last ceremony may have not gone well but it had been 10 years since and the town were putting all of their hopes on the night being successful.

As the crowds arrived at the house, Luisa was given the responsibility to ensure that all the donkeys were in the parking area, out of the way for visitors. Meanwhile, Camilo continued with greeting the guests, shaking their hands before letting them go.

"Oye Osvaldo." Camilo exclaimed as he greeted the male, shape-shifting to match his form as he pulled him in for an embrace.

The Colombian boy then transformed into a little old lady, politely kissing her cheek as she approached him, "Hola Señora (Hi ma'am)."

A young girl made her way towards the door as her figure sat upon her dad's shoulders, Camilo wasting no time in transforming so he could greet her, "Cecilia! Up top!" Taking a leap, he managed to high five the young girl, landing safely on the ground in his natural form.