Nine

The bell in the vet's office rang as I opened the door, stumbling in as I tried to carry a yowling Edgar into the small space. Thankfully there was no one else there, or I would have been mortified. He was in his carrying container, but he could still be a menace in that thing too.

I was greeted by a flustered receptionist, her blonde hair in tangles around her head. I told her about the appointment I had made yesterday, and she politely asked me to wait in a seat with my pet. Edgar was still yowling at this point, and I could tell that the noise was accomplishing nothing for anyone.

I sat down, Edgar in his container on my lap, and I waited patiently for the vet to come out and take us to a private room. Within a few minutes, a petite woman - I shouldn't say that; she was about my height, 5'3" - and she had long dark brown hair that looked almost black pulled into a tight braid falling down her back. I didn't get a good glimpse of her face when she led us back, I mean, I was following her, but from her skin tone and hair I would have guessed her to be Hispanic?

She held open the door for us (me and Edgar) and I got a better look at her. She had classical Asian features, and I realized she was probably Asian-American or something like that. Her eyes were huge, and a gorgeous chocolate brown color that I was immediately jealous of, along with the slight olive tint to her skin - the one that had originally led me to believe she was Mexican.

I put Edgar down on the table, and the vet closed the door and turned to face us.

"Hi," she said with a warm smile in a quiet tone. "I'm Dr. Jessica Yu, but feel free to call me Jessica or Jess."

She was so quiet I had to ask her name again to be sure.

"Sorry," I said, "but did you say Jessica or Jennifer?"

The doctor let out a small laugh, going toward Edgar. "You'd be surprised how many people get it mixed up. My name is Jessica, but so many people get it wrong I've learned to answer to Jennifer."

I couldn't resist my laugh. "That sounds like it would be hard. My name is pretty unusual though, so I've gotten some weird looks. Jonah isn't exactly a common name."

"It's pretty though," Jessica said to me. Her eyes narrowed on me for the slightest bit, scanning me. "It suits you well."

"Thanks."

"Now," Jessica said in a coo, turning to Edgar, "let's get this guy out of that cage." She unzipped the front of it and reached into it.

"Careful-" I tried to warn her as she reached in, but I was cut off when Edgar's cried immediately ceased and Jessica pulled him out of the container with much less difficulty than I would have had. Apparently Edgar liked his new vet; I was surprised because he usually tried to tear the arms of his other vet to shreds whenever he had a visit.

"Now who is this, huh?" Jess asked with a smile, looking at the cat she held in her arms. Edgar could be described as nothing less than happy in that moment. He was even purring.

I was struck still for a moment, because Edgar liking a new person was something for the record books. I had a feeling that Jessica Yu was about to become my new best friend.

"Um," I stuttered out, "his name is Edgar."

"Isn't that a perfect name," she said to Edgar as she gently placed him on the table. "You're a sweet kitty, aren't you?" Edgar responded to her with a gently purr and a rub of his head into her palm. Jessica rubbed a hand over his ears and turned to me. "So is this just the normal check up?"

"Yeah," I said. "I think we need some shots, but I can't be sure. I emailed the records from his old vet's office."

"Okay," Jessica said as she went over to the computer and began typing. I ran a hand over Edgar's fur absentmindedly as I waited for her.