Fourteen

So, in case you didn't see my message or something, there is a part in this that will not make a lot of sense unless you go back and read part ELEVEN, because I changed something in it. It's something about the Born/Bitten werewolves and stuff. Thank you for understanding, and I really hope you like this part.

Always ignore phone calls from your mother... ;)

——————————————————————————————————————————————

I was trembling as Grayson walked me into the monstrous room. The ceiling stretched over my head, and floor to ceiling windows let light bounce into the room and brighten even the darkest of corners. For some reason, I felt calm after I actually made it into the room, as if I knew the people inside would understand.

Sitting around a large rectangular conference table were eight figures, and I was a little surprised there weren't more. After all, weren't these the people that controlled the Shifter community?

"Good morning," Grayson said, his voice carrying over the room.

"Good morning, Grayson," a woman said as she stood and walked closer to us. Her hair was a dark blonde color with gray strands beginning to thread through, meaning that she had to be older in the Shifter world. She was one of four females, I noticed, showing that the council was equal in that respect. The woman came and gave Grayson a hug, forcing him to take his hand from its supportive place on my back.

"It's great to see you, councilwoman Stratt," Grayson said to her. He then turned to me and said, "Jonah, this is councilwoman Stratt. I'll be taking over her position when she decides to retire."

My eyes widened instinctively and I looked closer at the woman. "You are suddenly much scarier than you were a few seconds ago."

Councilwoman Stratt laughed at my comment. "The best thing that can happen is that people underestimate you. It would be good to remember that." She paused. "You and Grayson are good together. I can tell you that much."

"T-thank you, I guess," I stuttered out, unsure how to really respond to that.

"It's a compliment, sweetie," the councilwoman laughed out.

I let out a breath. "This is much easier than I expected," I said in a whisper to Grayson.

"Told you so," he murmured back.

"Come on," Stratt said to us. "Let's get this over with."

We were led over to the table where the other seven were waiting. Grayson pulled out a chair for me and then sat in one for himself. We sat in a slightly strained silence until an intimidating man a few chairs away from me spoke up. He was introduced as councilman Zint.

"Miss Tyler," he said, even his voice letting me know that this man was deadly, "you are here to report your Changing, are you not?"

"Yes," I said after clearing my throat. "I am."

"Can you tell us the circumstances? I'm sure you understand why we prefer to have the Changings prearranged due to the nature of our people."

"I do," I said in a steady tone. "Um, I was at my house, walking through the woods, and a man appeared out of the shadows. He introduced himself as Kade, and then he took my hand and bit into my wrist. That's all I remember."

"You must have been through a terrible ordeal," a councilman who had addressed himself as Edwards told me. "From not even having an idea about our world to becoming a Shifter."