Cinderella in Red | JaemYang

Details:

jaemyang

9.6k words

angst, fluff, comedy, gender swap, masquerade ball, wizards, potions

tw // mentions of death

rating: mature

note: as it is fantasy, let's pretend the Houses were established in the late 1500's

ㅡ cross posted on ao3 ㅡ

Summary:

You see, rules aren't actually quite that hard to follow once your heart is set on it. But here's the thing, this organ of ours is too tender, and once pleasured, triggered or hurt, it'll forget every boundary that's enforced on it and follow only what it believes to be right; wants for it to be right; feels it to be right. So, it is a given that as these two were enjoying their time, that's all their heart had been thinking about, making them forget that midnight was approaching close by until it was too late; the clock tower welcoming them with its cruel sound of awakening and ugly reality.

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ・❥・ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

Careless chatter along with pleasant classical notes fill the vast ballroom embellished in gold ornaments and masked beauties minutes into the masquerade ball Earl Na Jaemin was requested to attend by the host himself. And who is he to refuse his close friend's personal invite? Jaemin would also like to add that it is quite the difficult task to say no to Duke Park's youngest son, Lord Park Jisung. However, no matter how much love and respect he holds for the younger, he can't help but internally sigh as his mind finds itself drifting away from what the ladies in front of him are discussing and instead focusing on how many candles the chandelier in his direct sight of line is holding - the second time in the span of a quarter of an hour, may he specify. A very not Na Jaemin move, his friend would say if caught.

With all due respect, Jaemin truly believes that the party the younger organised surpassed all the previous ones with how delicately it was planned. After all, he was the one who had to offer his ear as support for the other's endless ranting regarding the subject. And he will indeed say with his whole heart that he is proud with the outcome, because he is.

Various paintings from all over the sea paint each wall with their own unique story; long forgotten by the many guests who are too busy satiating the companion in front of them, listening to the same old fables they have to offer, and giggling with their whole heart - once again acting as if though it was their first time hearing it all over again.

This is exactly why Jaemin can't help but get, simply, bored.

No matter how luxurious the golden curtains are; how rich, melodious and experienced the orchestra for the night sounds; how scrumptious the snacks - sitting pretty on top of the long and rectangular mahogany tables covered in silky rose-gold cloths, rested by each wall - taste; how many gentle ladies and gentlemen alike offer him smiles of compassion - for his late parents - and respect - for his newly earned title; the interest just seems to easily seep away, just like he sees another guest's drink come to an end as quickly.

A short lived joy, that's what parties are to him.

You've got to understand that he has seen it all. Jaemin has seen the same faces in similar occasions so many times that he wouldn't be surprised if he can recognise everyone in this room despite the intricate masks they wear to blanket their identity. And that's exactly what he finds himself doing the very next moment: guessing who is behind which doll up.

"Lord Na," a deep voice brings him out of his hunting for excitement in the little activity he actually found himself enjoying, making him give the one who asked for his attention a curious look. "Another Lord asked for you to try this drink."