THE NIGHT BEFORE THE FINALS

Not proofread, ignore spelling and grammatical errors

Three days have been passed and all the participants have completed their practice sessions. It was the night before final test. In her office in lifeline centre, Haseena was engrossed in her files while a plate of food was placed at her side table, completely untouched. She ran the bell and one of her staff came in, “Have all the participants eaten their meal?” she enquired not looking at her instead worriedly tapping her pen on the table. “Yes doc!! Except one….” “Who??” she at once looked up. “SI Karishma Singh, She said she is not hungry,” a worried sound escaped her lips upon learning this.

Few minutes later Haseena was walking towards Karishma’s room followed by a waiter with dinner trolley. Upon reaching at her door, she sent him away, opened the door with Master key and pushed the trolley inside.

Karishma was sitting beside the window, staring aimlessly at the stars completely unaware of her presence in her room. “Karishma!!” Haseena’s soft and worried voice brought her back to the reality. “Madam Sir!!” she startled and at once stood up but did not raised her eyes.
“You have not eaten you dinner?” “I….i…..am not feeling hungry….” She responded looking down fidgeting with her fingers. “And why you are not sleeping?” she asked once again a bit sternly. “I….don’t know…..just not feeling sleepy,” she shrugged her shoulders and replied feebly.

Haseena had stared at her dear friend’s dejected figure and without saying anything she held her through her wrist and made her sit on the bed. Serving the food in one plate she settled in front of her and herself forwarded the morsel towards her.

Karishma looked at the morsel in her hand and worry lines on her forehead. Next moment cascade of tears had made Haseena’s eyes wet too, she wiped her tears with her thumb and put the morsel in her mouth. Karishma chewed the morsel and shoved the next bite in Haseena’s mouth.

Like this without saying anything they fed each other soaking each other’s silence and warmth. After finishing the dinner, Haseena had put Karishma’s head in her lap and started stroking her hair lovingly. Her love and warmth give some solace to Karishma and she slept there only on her lap, clenching onto him of Haseena’s address lightly. Not wanting to disturb her sleep, she kissed her forehead lovingly and closed her eyes taking support of back rest of bed.
Next morning, Karishma woke up first and upon finding her position, “Whole night, I was on her lap…..” she mumbled shockingly. Hearing her voice, Haseena too opened her eyes, “How are you feeling now?” Karishma nodded in response and asked unable to contain herself, “Weren’t you angry on me??” “I still am…..but….in no way I can let you ruin your health,” she responded calmly and then added, “Go….and freshen up” to which Karishma nodded and went to bathroom.

As soon as she closed the bathroom door, Haseena had tightly clenched her mouth and slowly moved her stiffened legs, “Aaahhmmm…..” a faint muffled moan escape her mouth as she felt terrible pain in her lower body. Slowly taking support she walked out of the room, biting her lips and suppressing her moans to not let Karishma know about it.

It was early morning and a limited staff was on duty so nobody noticed their limping head doctor moving towards office. Upon reaching there, she settled herself on the sofa-come-bed in half lying position and closed her eyes while biting her lips. She was continuously turning and tossing her legs in futile attempts to ease her pain a little.

Suddenly she felt her right hand getting wet and she at once opened her eyes, “Karishma…..you……here? Why……why are you crying?” She gasped in shock and then tended to her getting extremely worried.

Her vigorous cries had created a havoc in her, “Karishma……Baccha….please…..stop crying…..what happened……you......you are…..scaring me.” She said gently stroking her hairs with her own welled up eyes forgetting about her paining legs.

“I……i…..i completely……understand……that….that…..i had done a mistake……and you…..are angry on me…..your sending me here is also justified……i…..i….have accepted everything……but this…..i cannot bear to not be allowed near you in your pain…….you…..you ….are in terrible pain…..and you….you…..have hidden that from me…..please….please Haseena….don’t…..don’t give me such a big punishment……where…..where…i….i won’t even be allowed to take care of you….” she begged in cracked voice and then ended up crying more hysterically.

“Sssshhh!!! Please….i….did not intend to do that…..i….i…am sorry…” she was unable to bear her cries but she was not ready to listen to her. “Please Baccha……won’t you relieve my pain…..won’t you massage my leg muscles…….they are in terrible pain…..” she knew it is the only way to calm her down when her strong Karishma is so naïve with her emotions these days.

Karishma stopped crying, wiped her tears with her palms while nodding and at once ran to get warm oil. Few moments later, sitting by her side Karishma was massaging her leg muscles having a peaceful expression while Haseena has her eyes closed.

Do votes and comments