Chapter 26 - The Perfect Team

Damien Rice – Cannonball

The following week had been incredibly hard for Maddie, she was still trying to avoid Jasper and it didn’t help that they had multiple lessons a day together. Every time he saw her he tried to talk to her but she couldn’t face him or more like wouldn’t face him. She didn’t want to know the truth, she couldn’t face losing him to the ex that was totally wrong for him. No instead she would cut all that hurt out and just go through life not knowing. There was only a week and half left until they broke up for the Christmas holidays and she was determined to make it through without any more trouble.

By Thursday Jasper was still trying to talk to her, Maddie had escaped him after history in the morning but there was no chance of avoiding him before English Literature. Maddie’s heart sank as she walked along the English corridor to see that Jasper was the only person standing outside their classroom. She had no one to protect, no one to shield her from talking to him.

“Maddie please give me a chance to explain!” Jasper pulled her hand into his, making her heart pound at super speed. She didn’t want to admit to herself but it felt unbelievably good to touching him again. Maddie closed her eyes and breathed out slowly. When she opened them again she was looking straight into his blue eyes and could feel herself falling into them all over again.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you I was going to see Ali, I just wanted to talk her about you, about us. I wanted to try and make her see that we were meant to be together and that me and her just weren’t right together. Mads I love you. This last week has killed me, I’ve missed you so much.” He put his hand on her cheek and lifted her face to look at his again, she felt herself leaning into him loving the feel of body and warmth against her once again.

“Please forgive me. I wouldn’t want to do anything to hurt you. You have to believe me.” Maddie pulled her head back letting his hand fall away.

“I do believe you, but you hurt me all the same. You lied to me and I don’t know if I’m ready to forgive you yet. I –“

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Somebody pulled Jasper away from her, sending Maddie crashing into the corridor wall. She looked up to see her sister getting right into Jasper’s face looking incredibly angry. “Breaking my sister’s heart isn’t enough? You have to make it a million times worse by chasing around after her don’t you?” The index finger of her right hand trying to force its way through his t-shirt, his skin and his ribs.

“I don’t want to hurt her Kate, I love her.” Jasper looked away from Kate toward Maddie. “I love you.”

“Stay away from her, do you know how miserable she’s been because of you. If I catch you trying to talk to her again I will hunt you down and kill you.” Maddie shivered at her sister’s words, the look on her face was menacing showing she meant every word she said. Kate could be scary as all hell when she wanted to be.

“Kate its fine. He wasn’t bothering me.” Maddie pulled her sister’s arm away from Jasper’s chest before she caused any more damage. Kate was breathing heavily as she turned to face Maddie.

“Sis, he hurt you which means someone should hurt him!” She glared at Jasper who swallowed hard.