ten

A ski-masked person was chasing me.

Good thing was, I wanted him to be doing exactly that.

This time I had a plan as I ran across the cold dark alleyways of Arcanus City, dodging past a few people with my cape flying behind me.

It was exhilarating. The chase.

Earlier that day, I had spotted someone lurking behind my apartment building, deep in the shadows. It hadn't taken me long to notice the ski mask on the person's face. It freaked me out, yes, but I knew I had to act soon.

Before someone else came across him. Before Jamie came back to the apartment.

I needed answers.

I needed to know what exactly did they have against me and the Agency.

So I put on a distraction for the ski-masked stalker and once changed into my gear, I led him away from my apartment (away from Jamie and Dolores and her scary cat) and down to these narrow, not so busy alleyways.

Not too long after, I was making my way up an abandoned building, only stopping to take a breath when I was up at the rooftop.

There were a lot of such abandoned buildings scattered on the outskirts of this town. Away from the people. To me, this seemed like the right place for some dangerous confrontation.

Seconds later, as I had expected, someone came barging in through the roof door. He had the same ski mask on. It reminded me of the woman who had broken into my apartment days ago, and that alone was enough to make my heart race. Though this time, he wasn't bulked up with muscle. He was just about my height. Maybe the same age too.

"You guys really need to stop this." I breathed out, clutching my knees as I stared up at him. "This...whatever this is. It's getting rather tiring, don't you think?"

I think he glared at me. "We won't stop until we kill you."

"Hey now, that's not very nice." I straightened up. "But that's where I'm gonna stop you. I need answers."

He took out two sharp knives from his sides, ends glinting in the moonlight. "After I kill you."

I dodged as he threw a knife at me and nearly got stabbed when he charged with the other.

Grabbing his arm, I flipped him over with a short grunt and down on the ground.

"I don't understand what I did." I breathed out heavily, twisting his arm behind his back. He wasn't as strong as his two previous friends. "I don't understand why you guys want to kill me. Is it just because I work with the Agency? It's not like I was there when things messed up and you went rogue."

He let out a sound that sounded like a pained gruff. "But you are their prized p-possession."

I held his arm in a tight grip. "Look, I don't wanna hurt you more than I have to. Just tell me what you really want, with a real reason, and I'll let you go."

I would, I realised. I didn't want to hurt. I didn't want to kill. That wasn't who I was.

His shoulders shook and I realised he was laughing. I tensed.

"You think I believe you?" He sneered, trying to turn his face around and glare at me. "You think anyone would believe you after we tell them who you really are behind that stupid mask?"

I froze and small tendrils of dread made their way around my heart.

Gripping his arm, I rolled him over. "Why would you do that?" I asked, thankful that my voice came out plain despite the terror I felt inside.