Chapter 45: Same Path, Different Goals

(3rd Person's POV)

The next morning, you woke up feeling a headache and a turning stomach. The sun rays were shining inside your room like it's telling you to get up.

"Ugh shit! I shouldn't have drunk that rice juice" you thought, holding your head with one hand and the other hand on your stomach. Your hair was everywhere around your head that half of your face was covered.

After the struggle to get out of bed without throwing up, you washed your face and brush your hair, and went downstairs.

"Coffee...Coffee...I need...coffee..." you mumbled with a grumpy voice. A nice smell of food barged into your nose and made your stomach growl.

As you entered the dorm's cafeteria, you saw Soma sitting in the middle of the room. You blinked twice, as he was sitting with crossed legs and arms, headband is tied to his head, and a challenging look drew his face.

"Uh...Soma? What're you doing?" you asked, raising a brow.

"I wanna challenge Isshiki-Senpai to a Shokugeki!" he replied with excitement. You sighed, "again? I don't think you get this Shokugeki thing, Soma".

He looked at you with confusion, "whaddya mean?". You scratched the back of your head trying to put simpler words for explanation.

"Uh...I think you need witnesses like teachers, or judges, and offering something big for your rival so it can be an official competition" you explained, drinking your coffee.

"Awww! Uncool!" Some whined. "Sup?", "Hey", "Morning" everyone greeted as they noticed Soma, still sitting in the middle of the cafeteria.

"Isshiki-Senpai! Is it true that I can't challenge you for a Shokugeki?? E just told me that you must have witnesses and all that crap!" he asked, pouting.

"Ah, I'm sorry, Yukihira-Kun. I didn't explain things very well" Isshiki-Senpai replied.

"Fumio-San, are you done yet?" Shoji asked. "Shut up and wait quietly!" she yelled from inside the kitchen. "Oh! Fumio-San, is there anything you want me to do?" you asked, offering her some help.

"Bring out the plates" she replied, you went to help her. When you were done, Fumio-San served the breakfast.

"About the challenges in the academy...There is an established policy at this academy to settle disputes among students. There are several rules. Should you wish to challenge me for my 7th seat, you must wager something that is equal in value" Isshiki-Senpai began explaining.

"A wager equal in value to the 7th seat?" Soma asked, sipping his tea. Isshiki-Senpai put his index finger on his chin, "if we're talking the 7th seat...Not even your expulsion would be enough".

Soma flinched, "Wh-...Seriously?!".

You already knew about the Shokugeki, the elite ten, and all that. Since your parents were members of the ten, they just told you the basic information about it. Not to mention the amount of Shokugekis they had won when they were in Totsuki.

"But of course, you can't both of you challenge me for the 7th seat. Only one person will take over" Isshiki-Senpai said after explaining.

"Actually...I'm not really interested in this top ten thingy. So, I'll just leave it to Soma" you said as everyone looked at you with wide eyes.

You immediately stopped eating after noticing the loud noises of silence.

"What?" you asked with raising brows. "(Y/N), everyone in this school aims to be in the council of ten, how come you're not interested?" Ryoko asked, frowning.

You shrugged, "I'm just not. I don't see why making such a big deal out of it. No offense, Senpai".

"Indeed, the elite ten is worth that much. After all, they're the biggest decision-makers on campus. Not even a teacher can go against them! In the past, residents from this dorm joined the ten every year. It was truly the golden age for 'Polar Star'. In comparison, you lot are pathetic!" Fumio-San rambled on, then glared at everyone.

You scoffed, "I mean...we just started school". "Not that talk again, Fumio-San" Yuki furrowed her brows.

"Well, so, anyway...I can accept your challenge, but I would not want you to leave the academy. In conclusion, there can be no cook-off" Isshiki-Senpai dismissed with, merely smiling.

Soma sighed, "seriously? I even woke up at five today to get myself revved up".

"Well, I can't believe you're even going against the 7th seat" Ryoko stated. You let out a chuckle, "yeah, he's really reckless!".

Soma then glared at you, "I wouldn't talk if I were you. Did you forget your back talking to Nakiri? And she's one of the ten!".

"YOU DID WHAT?!!" everyone screamed, making you stop laughing immediately.

"Oh?! She should've thought about that before lying! She knew our foods were acceptable, and yet she dares to say it's disgusting! I had to say something about it" you said through gritted teeth, already feeling irritated.

"You're out of your mind!" Yuki said, loudly. "Eguchi-Kun, you should not back talk to anyone, especially the elite ten council" Isshiki-Senpai said, sternly yet in a gentle way possible.

"I won't if they don't lie when it comes to judging food" you hissed. "W-Well, I suppose you are right on this point, but..." Isshiki-Senpai sweat dropped.

"Whatever" you blurted out.

-

Later...

You finished your breakfast, then went back upstairs to get ready for school. After you left the room, you met Shun in the hallway.

"Hey, Shun!" you said, smiling and giving a little wave. His cheeks turned into bright pink, "h-hi...".

You suddenly realized that you called him by his first name. "Oh! I'm sorry...uhh...do you want me to call you 'Ibusaki-Kun', as well?" you asked, nervously.

"Just call me Shun" he replied, nonchalantly. You smiled again, "alright, then call me (Y/N)".

You returned to your room, and wore your school uniform, and packed your school stuff as well. After checking yourself in the mirror, you made sure that you looked presentable, and left the room.

On your way to the stairs, you met Isshiki-Senpai. "Going already, Eguchi-Kun?" he asked. "Yeah, I guess..." you said, merely shrugging.

He noticed that you're not making eye contact, as he tilted his head to the side. "Eguchi-Kun, is something wrong?" he asked, worriedly.

You looked at him and shook your head, "not at all. And stop calling me 'Eguchi-Kun'! Just call me (Y/N). I mean...We're friends and dormmates now, right?".

He chuckled. "Okay, cute (Y/N)!" he replied, smiling, and gently ruffling your hair. Your face flustered while giggling and left.

He admired your face when you laughed shyly like a cute little girl. You just looked so much more beautiful when you smiled...

-

Chapter End.