Chapter 48

"Thanks for the miniature indoor herb garden, Hayden," Pierce stated

"Thanks for the miniature indoor herb garden, Hayden," Pierce stated. It was the last thank you of the night. He made sure to extend his gratitude to everyone.

She gave him an extra-wide grin. "You're welcome."

"It's not better than my beer holster, though, right?" Blake slurred. He was the drunkest.

"No, man. Of course not," Pierce kindly assured him, mouthing otherwise to Hayden.

In truth, Wyatt had probably given him the best birthday gift - a golden snitch keychain. He knew him the best. To be fair, there wasn't much competition. Nicki had given him a jasper-beaded bracelet - she said he needed it. He wasn't really sure what she meant, but he appreciated the thought nonetheless. Quinn gave him some CBD muscle cream - useful, but nothing to get excited about.

"What'd you get Pierce?" Nicki asked Elliot.

"I left his gift at the house," Elliot told her.

"Lame," Nicki lilted. Her phone was alit and filming. "Your followers are not going to be happy."

"They'll survive," Elliot remarked.

The group of friends dispersed to their separate vehicles, with the girls rushing out of the cold parking lot and into Nicki's Nissan. They wanted Texas toast and crinkle-cut fries, therefore they drove away fast. The vegan-ness of that decision was questionable. Pierce was obligated to take his intoxicated roommate back to their dorm, and Wyatt was left to drive home alone - like always. Elliot almost asked him for a ride out of sympathy.

Pierce was brushing some fresh flurries off his windshield when Elliot approached him. "Can I have a ride?"

The question sparked some heat in Pierce's core. He glanced at Blake snoring in his backseat. "Sure."

They had done this before. Back when they were roommates it was easy to drive home together, sometimes early, sometimes late. They were inseparable.

The sky had been painted black, not a star to be seen. Not like their date at the planetarium. The brightest thing in sight was Pierce's engine light, but that wasn't abnormal. It had been blinking since his last year of high school, at least that's what Pierce had told him. Elliot had gotten used to its alarming presence.