Chapter 57

There was an opened takeaway box of crepes on the side table

There was an opened takeaway box of crepes on the side table. Pierce piled the breakfast treats with nothing other than melted chocolate. He had practically swallowed them whole. Elliot chose peanut butter and strawberries for his toppings. He ate half - Pierce ate the rest.

It was still morning and Elliot and Pierce were spending their last day in Paris relaxing. Their bags were already packed, and with their bellies full, they chose to lounge at Chandler's loft. The cozy sitting area was washed with sunlight, blending into the pastel décor. Pierce didn't know how to describe it, but he could smell Chanel, like he was sniffing the inside of Elliot's makeup bag. Everything was tiny except her giant window. It was cranked open enough to hear birds chirping.

Pierce quietly observed Chandler's living space. She lived like a fairy - everything dainty, itty-bitty, neat, and aesthetically-pleasing. Everything was styled to her exact specifications. Even her pink mini fridge was flawless, except the one childhood photo of her and Elliot that adorned the front. It showed a young Elliot missing his front tooth. Pierce's heart had skipped when he saw it.

Chandler had an innate need to dazzle people through her talent, her vision, her designs - the same motivation that enabled Elliot to draw molecular structures and sketch Pierce shirtless. He had a need to succeed at everything. Pierce assumed their parents must've been similar. He could feel the pressure that had been placed on them both. It made him understand Elliot differently.

Elliot had separated himself from his parents as soon as the opportunity presented itself, and Chandler, well, she'd been living in another country for so long that she had acquired an accent. It wasn't too hard to figure out that they needed something different from their upbringing. Chandler had implied as much when talking to Pierce at the wedding reception. He assumed it was also why she was so protective.

He was glad, though - that he got to meet Chandler. She was such a distant figure that he was starting to wonder if she even existed. And although she was a bit alarming at times, she was Elliot's family. She was nice enough to welcome them both into her home too, and that figurative embrace meant everything to him.