Chapter Seven | Peach Nails and Caramel Highlights

I wake up to the noise of intense talking and what sounds like breakfast being cooked. Nicole isn't in bed, and I recognise that deep, delectable voice as belonging to James.

"I'm not trying to smoother you," he insists.

I find them both in the kitchen, Nicole sat at the table; James towering over her.

"I know you're not tying to," she replies. "But you are!"

I quietly make my way towards the kettle, in no position to pry. Unfortunately, Nicole notices me and sees my presence as a chance to manipulate the situation into getting her own way.

"Sloan! Tell my brother I'm perfectly capable of going to a doctor's appointment on my own."

James spins around to face me, still gorgeous in yesterday's clothes.

"Umm—"

This is the exact predicament I was trying to avoid. On one hand, I've got Nicole who—as of last night—is my official BFF. On the other, I have my English professor who I'm involved with in ways that stretch beyond a student/ teacher relationship. Pair that with the look of desperation on his face, and I'm torn.

"Actually, I was hoping I could come," I say.

Both remain silent.

"I need to get some bits in town and afterwards, I thought we could get our nails done?"

Nicole narrows her eyes in suspicion. "You wanna get your nails done?"

"Sure! Why not?"

She laughs, seeing my excuse for exactly what it is.

A fucking lie!

"Fine. Sloan will accompany me to the doctors. Happy now?"

She directs her question at James.

"Ecstatic," he replies, giving just as good as he gets.

He shoots me a subtle smile as a way of thanks, and I rejoice in my own success at deflecting the tension. He's only worried, but I know from my own experience with Lara that concern is not always welcomed. In the past, I've also annoyed her with my tendency to worry.

"What colour are you thinking for your nails, Sloan?" asks Nicole, humouring me.

"I dunno? Red?"

I flick the switch on the kettle, in need of my morning coffee.

"Ohhh, sexy! I bet your friend will love it."

"What friend?" asks James, feigning indifference.

"Her boyfriend!"

"You have a boyfriend?"

"No."

Nicole laughs, facing her brother. "I caught them having phone sex the other day."

I slam my mug down and face her. "Nic!"

"What?"

I gesture to James. "Are you forgetting he's my professor?"

Her amusement only increases and—going against my better judgement—I laugh too.

"Maybe don't detail my sex life to him," I say.

"Jamie doesn't care! Do you, Jamie?"

He smirks. "Nope."

I return my attention to my coffee, figuring it's best I distract myself.

"So—umm—" begins Nicole, turning awkward suddenly. "Have you told Freddie about yesterday?"

James visibly stiffens. "Not yet."