Chapter Thirteen | Dirty Dancing

Containing my excitement as Lara and Jasmine's train arrives at the station is damn near impossible. I watch as people spill out of the carriages; some tourists, some businessmen/ women. I eventually spot them giggling as they attempt to carry two large suitcases across the platform. They're only stopping for three nights, but I expect nothing less from my fashion obsessed sister and our outfit hoarder cousin.

"SLOAN!"

Lara runs to me, mimicking one of those cheesy romance movies.

"You dick!" I laugh, throwing my arms around her neck as she abandons her suitcase to leap into my arms.

People watch as the three of us dramatically embrace.

"Text home and let them know you've arrived," I instruct, knowing how much our parents will worry.

Jasmine's dad is our Mum's brother, and the pair certainly share the concerned gene.

"Let's send them a selfie!" suggests Jasmine, angling her phone to fit all three of us in the frame.

I've yet to apply any makeup and do my best to avoid too much exposure.

"So, where to first?" asks Lara, giddy.

She rarely leaves Yorkshire and considers any type of freedom from our parents a blessing.

"We could grab a quick coffee while I order an Uber back to the flat? Nicole is dying to meet you both."

It's true. She's currently deep cleaning the flat in an attempt to impress them.

"Sounds good."

I lead them towards The Coffee Bank—a cute café situated next-door to the train station. I've yet to come here, but rumour has it their lemon drizzle cake is to die for.

"How was the journey down?" I ask, pulling them both in for another hug as we queue.

I can't get enough of them.

"Good. Dad texted me every twenty minutes to make sure I was still alive."

"Of course."

"And some football fans got on at Leeds," informs Jasmine, looking far from impressed. "Noisy bunch."

"She cleansed the space after they got off," explains Lara, smirking.

"I had to! They left behind the smell of their beer!"

Jasmine is big on crystals and is practically the posterchild for manifestation and energy healing. I'll be willing to bet half of her suitcase is full of smudge kits and essential oils.

"Can I help?"

I order three iced lattes with an extra shot of caramel, knowing them both enough to not ask. From the beginning, the three of us have been inseparable. I don't know what I did for three years before Jasmine came along. It's nice that we're so close in age. It certainly made not having any actual friends easier.

"So Oxford, huh? Are you loving it?" asks Lara once we're seated.

I nod. "It's gorgeous."

"The coffee is certainly great," announces Jasmine, sipping from her straw.

I take out my phone to order an Uber and notice four unread text messages.

Dad:
Look after them! Love U x

Mum:
Make sure the girls
are okay. Lara's meds are in her
wash bag! Love you, honey xx