Chapter Nineteen | Meet the Parents

⚠️Trigger warning: themes of eating disorders appear in this chapter. ⚠️

James and I arrive at the train station a little after Lara's train drops her off. We find her sat on a bench, shivering from the cold. Every instinct I have begs me to run to her and hold her in my arms. Instead, I stay exactly where I am in James' car, respecting her wishes.

"Tell her I love her," I say, fiddling with the sleeve on my jumper.

James responds by kissing me gently on the lips and bumping his forehead with mine. "Call your mum and dad."

I do as instructed and watch him as he makes his way across the car park to where my terrified sister is waiting. Upon seeing him, she buries her head in her hands and begins to sob uncontrollably. I'm seconds away from leaving the car when James wraps his arms around her back and offers her one of his amazing bear hugs. I pause what I'm doing, in awe of his actions. I don't necessarily want to intrude on their moment. I understand that Lara needs to talk to someone she trusts who—perhaps she sees as an unbiased opinion? She knows James enough to know he has her best interests at heart, yet he's still somewhat a stranger. With her mind currently where it's at, that exactly what she needs.

"Sloan?"

In my haste to watch every second of their interaction, I failed to notice dad answering my call.

"Hey."

"You're on speaker, sweetheart," he shares, letting me know Mum is listening too.

"Are you with her?" she asks, sounding worried beyond belief.

"James is. She wanted to see him."

There's a moment of silence before Dad finally asks the inevitable. "Who's James, sweetheart?"

"He's my—"

The way I see it, I have two options here. I either introduce him as my professor and suffer through the many questions that'll no doubt follow. Or, I say he's my boyfriend and still suffer through the many questions.

"He's my boyfriend."

In the end, I say what feels right.

"I didn't know you had a boyfriend," replies Mum.

Dad—to no surprise—says nothing.

"It's quite new," I explain. "Lara met him when she visited. I think she needs to speak with someone who isn't family right now."

Dad hums his agreement.

"Where are you?"

"On the A1. About two hours away."

"Don't speed," I warn, acting as the third parent yet again. "She's safe now. We'll take care of her until you get here."

Mum sighs, followed by what sounds like a sob.

"She'll be okay," I hear dad say.

It breaks my heart that I can't comfort them in person.

"I'm so scared," she cries. "She's my baby."

In the distance, I see James put his coat around Lara's shoulders and take a seat beside her. They both have their back to me, not that it really makes any difference. It's dark as shit out here.

"Lara's strong," I offer. "She'll get through this."

I desperately want to stay on the phone but hate the idea of distracting Dad when he's driving on the motorway.

"Text me when you're five minutes away," I say, mainly talking to Mum. "And don't worry. We'll handle this as a family."

Mum is the emotional one and dad—although usually calm and collected—is struggling to process this. I might not be able to help with Lara's pain levels, but I can certainly step up and become the third parent she needs right now. Mum and Dad are amazing role models, but their parental approach is very relaxed. They were still kids when they had me and have yet to shed their youthfulness. Not that I'm complaining. I love that the most about them, but in times like these, they struggle. They don't know how to handle complex situations and with Lara bringing up something as serious as suicide, I can foresee them crumbling without my input. Perhaps that's why Lara came here. She knows as well as I do what our parents are like. Maybe this is her way of helping them out? By letting me take charge while they watch.