Chapter Twenty-Three | Romeo & Juliet

My alarm goes off at 6am, though it isn't needed. I haven't slept a wink and I have red, swollen eyes to show for it. For a while, I lay motionless in bed. I contemplate staring up at the ceiling all day, taking comfort in the thought of not having to face the world. More than ever, I want my mum. But I don't want to have to tell her what's happened, because then it becomes real. What James did still feels like a dream and if I can prolong reality for just a few more hours, then I will.

"Sloan?"

Nicole's soft voice sounds from the small crack in my door.

I don't bother replying.

"You have class today."

I close my eyes, unable to comprehend having to sit and watch James for an entire hour and a half without being able to express what I'm truly feeling.

"Want me to help you get ready?" she asks.

I give her a brief nod, just about managing that without crying.

She takes it upon herself to join me on my bed and positions her head right next to mine. Her arm wraps around my stomach in a protective stance and I love that her presence instantly calms me.

"My brother is an idiot."

I immediately break down.

"Want me to kick his arse?"

Despite feeling awful, I laugh at the idea of Nicole beating her big brother up for hurting me.

"I'm sorry," I say, twisting my head and matching my gaze with hers.

She tries to hide it, but I don't miss the frown of her brow when she sees my appearance for the first time.

"For what?" she asks.

"For being in love with your brother and not telling you."

She offers me a sweet smile.

"I wanted to tell you sooner, but..."

"Jamie didn't want you to," she concludes.

I nod.

"He underestimates my strength sometimes," she sighs, wiping underneath my eyes to erase the wetness. "I bet he never thought I might actually be happy for you both."

I shrug.

"He's always protecting the people he cares about. Putting their so-called needs before his own."

Although she loves James dearly, there's an element of rage to her voice. Frustration.

"That's what he's doing now, by the way. Protecting you."

"I don't need protecting," I insist.

She pauses for a moment, not entirely agreeing with that.

"What's going on, Nic? Who's responsible for all these attacks?"

"I can't tell you," she replies. "Not because I don't trust you, but because it's not my story to tell. James should be the one who tells you."

"James will probably never speak to me again," I retort.

She nudges my shoulder, quite literally trying to knock the stupid out of me. "Don't be so dramatic."

"NIC!"

"What?"

"I'm having my heart broken for the first time here!" I argue. "Can't you be slightly more empathetic?"

"Nope. Sorry. Sloan Jackson doesn't do self-pity."

"She does today," I say, remembering how gentle James was last night and missing him.