Chapter 28: Broken Truths

Amity Arena

3rd Person POV

"And now, for the moment you've all been waiting for..." Port called over the loudspeakers, "the one-on-one finals!"

The crowd erupted in cheers, and Phoenix grinned as he stood next to Yang, Sun, Mercury, Penny, and Pyrrha (who was looking a little uneasy).

"Barty, why don't you explain the rules?" Port asked.

"Ah, it's quite simple, Peter," Oobleck answered. "Instead of a bracket system, each round of the finals will be randomly determined immediately before the match takes place."

"Much like any good hunt, there will be zero time to prepare," Port agreed.

"Ah, yes, yes. Now, let's see who our first match will be," Oobleck said, and the screens surrounding the top of the arena started scrolling.

Eventually, the scrolling stopped, the rotations halting.

"Yang Xiao Long and Mercury Black!" Port shouted as Cinder's eyes narrowed. This... this wasn't supposed to happen. They had removed the virus from the CCT, so the randomization should be proceeding as normal. Could this have been up to chance?

"Break a leg, sis!" Ruby called as the crowd erupted into cheers.

Looking over, Cinder and Emerald exchanged looks.

"Would all other combatants please leave the stage," Port called.

Phoenix nodded and followed Pyrrha and the rest to the stands while Yang turned to face Mercury. Smirking, the two walked toward each other as the center of the arena lifted into the air, and a large grid with lights rose above them.

"You better not go easy on me," Yang taunted.

Mercury chuckled. "You wish."

Assuming fighting stances, the two edged forward.

"Three... Two... One... Fight!"

Pulling back just as their hands touched, Yang drew back a fist while Mercury jumped and did a spinning back kick. The two blows met in midair, and a shockwave tore across the stadium.

Landing on his feet, Mercury charged forward and jumped, aiming a kick, and Yang flipped over him.

Yang landed and launched a Dust shell at him, only for Mercury to sidestep. Blocking a series of punches, he lashed out, kicking Yang in the torso and unloading a round that sent her flying backward.

Mercury landed on his feet and spun, a smirk crossing his features. Darting forward and dodging a barrage of Dust shells, Mercury jumped into the air.

He spun, bringing an axe kick down toward Yang, only for the blond brawler to cross her arms, blocking. Flipping backward and dodging a kick, Mercury ducked a shot at his head and backflipped once more, knocking Yang into the air.

Yang landed on her feet and fired her gauntlets, propelling herself toward Mercury.

Unloading a barrage of blows to his torso, Yang tried a kick at his head, only for Mercury to intercept with one of his own. Mercury flipped, bringing his foot down toward Yang, only for her to dodge out of the way.

Pushing himself onto one hand, Mercury kicked Yang in the side with one leg, then pivoted and kicked her in the knee with the other. He spun, lashing out at Yang's head, and she dodged before flipping backward as Mercury swung his foot down, his boot slamming into the arena floor and causing it to implode.