Chapter 4 - Calming Days

AN - I'm back for as long as my hyperfixation lasts :> 

Also reminder that this is a mature fanfic, and I'll be bringing other darker themes into the fic. This is the only warning that I'm giving now other than tw's at the beginning.

________________________________________________________________________________

(Y/N)'s POV

A couple days would pass without very many eventful things happening, just resting and reading about Anima-city. You were alone a lot of the time, Shirou and Michiru having plans and lives in the city, leaving you to entertain yourself. It was warm out today, starting to become unbelievably so, whining and laying in front of a fan as you read. Concentration starts to waver, and you flop onto your back, your book laying away from you on your side. You're in shorts and a tank top, the fur on your body making it so much hotter. 

Michiru said that it took her a little while before she could go back to her human form, and you have no idea how that could be a possibility. It seemed impossible with how long you'd been a cat beastman, closing your eyes and trying to envision you as a regular boring person. "(y'n)!" Michiru said from above you, and you shriek in surprise, having not even heard her come in. "Oh hi Michiru. When did you get back?" You ask, and she starts blabbing about the new job she got as an investigator's assistant, saying his name was Tachiki.

You congratulate her of course, saying it was right up her alley. She always wanted to help people, even in the most extreme ways. "Oh, and I wanted to thank you.. Shirou isn't really the most expressive all the time, and I think you being here is really helping him." Michiru said, smiling and patting your shoulder. That actually made you feel a little happy, being able to liven up a character such as Shirou. 

"Anyways, did you get to meet the other person with beastman-itis? Her name is Nazuna, she used to be my best friend when we were in school." She said, and you wonder why she said "used to." You just tilt your head and say you haven't. "Oh! that's alright, I'm sure you'll meet her at some point." She said, and that makes you a little nervous. She sounded so ominous. 

Shirou gets home not too long after Michiru, nodding to you and going to his room. You let out a long sigh, today seeming so much more normal and boring than the last couple of days.. Normal was good though, you'd take normal any day. Eventually boredom gets the better of you, and leads you to Shirou's room, knocking lightly. "Shirou, is there anything to do here other than read?" You ask, waiting for a moment.

He opens the door and leans against it, arms crossed and looking down at you with a tired look. He always looked permanently tired.. "You haven't explored around?" He asked, and you shake your head, feeling a little confused. "I was supposed to look around? What if someone tries to kidnap me again?" You ask, knowing it was the worst case scenario, but you couldn't help the though. "You're not going to.. Never mind, come on. I could use a walk." He said, and you giggle a bit. It kind of sounded like a dog needing a walk, Shirou giving you a withered look. "Sorry, sorry, I'll go get ready." You say, heading back to the room to get dressed properly. 

Soon you were both walking through the city, people glancing at you since you were still in your beast form. It feels a little nerve-wracking to have a bunch of people watching you, anxiety starting to take over. "Hey Shirou, why're all these people looking at me..?" You ask quietly, and he sighs. "You're in beast form. It's like asking for a fight, trying to prove and show that you're stronger." He explained, and you nod. "I don't know-" "I know, Michiru had the same issue. you'll get it eventually." He said, setting a hand on your head. Your tail starts waving a little quicker at the pets, forgetting about the anxiety for a little bit. 

He takes you around, though someone slams into you, and you grab their arm before they can steal what little you have on you. You hold the monkey up and stare at his shocked face, glaring at him. "What the hell were you trying to do?" You ask, the monkey guy panicking and saying he wasn't doing shit, and that he just tripped and fell into him. "Bullshit.. I've pickpocketed before, you're nothing special." You snap, getting much more angry than you should've.. Shirou set a hand on your shoulder, telling you to let him go.. You eventually do, keeping your eyes on him as he scrambled away. 

"Well that didn't go very well. Hello Shirou." A kind of snobby voice says, stepping out of the alley and looking at the both of you. "Hello Marie. Tell me why I shouldn't turn you in." "Mmm cause you don't have proof of anything." She said, and you immediately didn't like her. "You've been scamming and running an illegal business for years Marie, I don't think proof is needed. Everyone knows." Shirou said, his voice the same low tone, really nice and smooth.. Stop getting distracted, jeeze. 

You barely listened to the conversation that followed, though you did pay attention when she said something about the lab.. "Yeah, there's a guy I know who knows stuff. So, unless you got cash, my lips are sealed." She said, and you didn't want to mess with this girl any longer. She obviously was the one with a ton of information on nearly everyone, which meant.. 

Your blood freezes as she looks at you with a knowing smile, already knowing she knew about you. You run off in a random direction, Shirou panicking a bit and looking Marie and your figure running off, needing to let Marie go to run after you. "(y/n) stop!" He called, but you didn't want to.. Not when there was someone like her around. She could've told someone.. She could've helped, yet all she did was gather information and use it for money. Something tells you that this place was a lot darker than it seemed.