17

Isabella

The next day, I praise myself in the mirror, shifting to the side and posing out of complete admiration. My unbound hair has been freed from the usual frizz, now massaged with a rose-scented cream and sitting in pampered waves that pool around a tight crimson shirt. The shortness of the top means I can't tuck it into my waistband, and I don't mind, because it suits the black fitted mini skirt that's styled with a slash at my left thigh and bares an unneeded portion of skin which I delight in exposing.

The heels of matching dark-colored boots thump against the floor my whole trip down the stairs, each step cushioned by a base of soft soles. Thanks to Andreas' business duties that have removed a barrier between me and meeting other guys, I can unhurriedly make my way out the house and pause when a glance at my phone tells me Leo is notifying me of his arrival.

A few taps, and I've assured him I'll be out soon.

"Where you heading?"

I turn my head and find Blake perched on the arm of the couch, cigar in hand. An unfamiliar bloke with bleached hair is seated beside him. Rotating my body, I offer each of them friendly grins and eye the new guest who's smiling back at me.

"Meeting up with a dude," I answer. "Looks like we've got someone new here."

Blake draws out a wind of smoke from his mouth and pats the guest's shoulder. In turn, he looks up at him, a questioning expression forming on his smooth features.

"Isabella, this is Zac. Zac, this is who I've been talking to you about."

"You've been talking about me?"

Zac breathes out a lazy laugh, lounging into the couch. "We've been talking about your, um, safety."

"Safety?"

"Mhm." He exchanges a tough glance with Blake, and a wisp of wariness flutters around the room, racing down my spine. Their attention returns to me before they begin to imperceptibly grumble. I cross my arms, tapping my boot on the floor expectantly, and wait until they finish with their weird conversation to speak.

"Tell me," I order.

"It's nothing."

"Blake, don't―"

"Andreas has questioned your whereabouts for the past three hours. I told him you're stuck in his room and won't be getting out anytime soon."

"Next time he asks, tell him to fuck off."

"I already did."

"Thanks. Nice meeting you, Zac." I give brief nods for a goodbye and stomp away and into the splendour of the front yard's garden. The stone fountain, with vines dangling over the lip of each tier, is setting a tranquil tone through the crisp air as the water gushes. Winds are calm and far away from blusterous, ruffling leaves of hedges and trees and stringing out the dancing of flowers. A pond nestled beside a shallow protrusion of land dressed in moonlight has a pillar in its centre.

But the statue atop it...Through the night sky, I find the head of a cross-legged figure moving, tilting, breaking. The neck of the stone angel is severed, a loud splash emerging with the plunge into the pond. Ruining the scenery's artistic display.

I shut the iron-wrought gates behind me, spotting a red car parked down the street.

Leo approaches me fitted into a short-sleeved button-up and denim jeans.

"You look gorgeous." He takes my hand and completes a short perusal of me. "I can't believe I've been blessed with the opportunity to take you out on a date."