8. a new possibility

It's Monday morning and I'm getting ready for school. I put on a pair of jeans and a shirt. I go downstairs to have breakfast and say bye to my mom. Then, I head out the door to ride my bike to school.

Regarding my message to Sam, asking her if it's possible for me to join her team, she hasn't responded. I have Calculus today with her, so I'll ask her about it then. When I get to school, I head straight to my locker to get my books.

"Hey, Allison," a familiar voice says. I turn my head and see Tory.

"Hi, Tory."

"Um. So, were you actually being serious about quitting? Robby and I have been texting you but you're ignoring our texts," she says.

"Yea, I'm not going. Sorry," I say. "I know you're upset but I really hope this doesn't change anything between us." Tory smiles at me and punches my arm playfully.

"Of course it won't. You're my number one," she laughs, and I smile back. "Robby's kinda mad, though." I stop smiling.

"Yea, well, if he's mad then he's mad. There's nothing I can do about it."

"I know, I know," she says. "Anyways, what class do you have first?"

"Calculus."

"Ok," she says. "So, I guess I'll see you at lunch."

"Yep. See you then," I say, walking to class.

I take my seat at the back of the class, where Sam and Hawk are sitting.

"Hey, Allison," Sam says, and I look up. "So, uh- I got your message. You want to join our team?"

"Oh, uh- yea," I say.

"Why?" Hawk blurts out. "A few days ago you were happy on your Cobra Kai team, but now you want to join us?"

"Yea, I'm confused about that, too," Sam says. "How do we know you actually want to be on our team and you're not joining to just steal our moves and then join Cobra Kai again?"

"Uh- Cause I'm being honest. I don't like the way Cobra Kai fights, so I just decided to quit," I say simply.

"Let me guess, the no mercy crap?" Sam asks, rolling her eyes.

"Yea. I don't really like that stuff," I say. "And Cobra Kai is pretty much based off of that quote." Sam and Hawk look at each other. Sam whispers something into Hawk's ear and he nods.

"Ok, Allison. You can come to practice today as like a test run. And if you're nice and our sensei likes you, then you can join," Sam says.

"That sounds good," I smile. "Thanks."

"I'll send you the address."

For the rest of the day, whenever I see Tory or people from Cobra Kai, I say nothing about joining Miyagi-Do. I feel guilty for leaving, and especially for joining a new team right after I just quit. It's just that I really want to continue karate, but Cobra Kai isn't the right place for that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
After school, I bike home to pick up some sports gear for practice. When I walk into my bedroom, however, I'm met with a familiar face that's sitting on my bed.

"Robby? What are you doing here? Wha- How did you even get in?" I ask, confused.

"Window," Robby says plainly. "I need to talk to you." He stands up.

"Robby, if this is about Cobra Kai, I already told you I quit," I say.

Robby sighs. "I know, I know. But would you just think about it for a second? You're such a good fighter and you're throwing your talent away by not competing in the tournament." Robby walks towards me and puts his hands on my waste. "Just think about it, Allison."

"Robby," I start, looking away, but he takes my chin and turns it so that I'm looking into his eyes. He kisses me softly on my lips, and I kiss him back. I missed the feeling of his lips on mine, but I pull away. "Robby I need to tell you something," I say quickly, and he gives me a confused look. I take his hand.

"Yea?"

"Um- I'm joining Miyagi-Do," I say, ashamed. His face looks hurt, and I feel absolutely awful.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, I really am. I want to continue karate, but I just can't at Cobra Kai. And it's like you just said. It would be a waste for me to not continue fighting." Robby scoffs and let's go of my hand.

"Are you serious?" he says, and I nod my head. He walks to my window to leave, but I grab his wrist.

"Please don't be mad," I plead.

"Don't be mad? Allison, how could I not be mad? A few days ago you were talking about how much you hated the other teams and now you want to join them?" His voice is harsh and angry.

"I know. But please try to understand," I say. "And just because I'm on another team doesn't mean that anything has to change. We can still hang out."

"Are you kidding? It changes everything! You know I hate those people and now you're going to become best friends with them."

"Gosh. You're overreacting. It's just a karate team. It doesn't really matter."

"Yea, well, it does it me," he says. "Good luck on your pathetic team." He climbs out the window and I sit down on my bed, my hands go to my face. What did I just do? Did I just ruin everything? I didn't have time to keep thinking about these questions, though. I get up and quickly change into my sports clothes for practice. I get my bike from the garage and bike to the address Sam gave me for practice. It's a bit further from the Cobra Kai dojo, but it's still a manageable distance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Allison! You're here!" Sam shouts as I walk into the large outdoor practice area. Sam is standing next to a few people. She introduces me to the members of the team, and they all seem nice.

"You must be Allison. Sam told me about you," a man in a gi says. "I'm Sensei LaRusso. Sam's dad. I heard you were at Cobra Kai but didn't like their fighting style."

"Yea."

"Well, you're in luck then. Because we don't do any of that no mercy stuff here," he smiles.

For the next hour or so, I practice karate with Sam and the others. It's far different than Cobra Kai. It's nonagresseive and is the opposite of Kreese's extreme tactics.

When practice is over, Sam walks me over to where my bike is laying. "So, am I on the team?" I ask, and Sam smiles.

"Yea, if you want to," she says. "And if you don't go running back to Cobra Kai in like 2 days."

"I won't," I laugh, getting on my bike. "So, I guess I'll see you at school."

"Yea. I'll see you there," she says. On the ride home, I can feel my phone making multiple buzzing sounds. I take out my phone and see 15 messages from Tory. Shit. Robby told her. I ignore her texts, knowing that they're probably filled hate and curses. I cant even imagine how much she must hate me right now.