Chapter 1: "When would I find mine?"

Y/N POV:

"Alright Angelo. What do you think was the cause of the fire?" I looked over at the young man who was shadowing me.

Angelo chewed his lower lip as he looked around at the remains of the office building we were currently standing in. "Um... by the looks of it, I would guess electrical."

Not agreeing or disagreeing, I tapped my chin with my finger. "And what makes you think that?"

Although I could tell he was nervous, Angelo pointed to the wall behind the copy machine or what remained of the copy machine. "It looks like it originated from there. The streaks of black along the wall, along with the destroyed outlet indicate that it was electrical." Angelo looked over at me and I grinned.

"You're absolutely right." I couldn't help but laugh at the look of relief on his face.

"Damn it Y/N. you made me think I was wrong for a moment." Angelo took a deep breath before pulling of his baseball cap, a black one embroidered with Fire Investigator in red, and running a hand through his dark hair.

Ruffling his hair, I laughed when he swatted my hand away. "Well I wanted to make sure that you were absolutely certain about what happened. Having any kind of doubt in a situation like this can lead to disastrous consequences." Pulling my tablet from my shoulder bag, I pulled up the report for the fire from the department. The fire chief had made the initial decision that it had been electrical, but any time an office building, especially one in such an affluent area has experienced a fire, they bring in the Fire Investigation Unit to identify the cause. Too many people like to go after the insurance money and it was my job to make sure they didn't get it if the fire turned out to be arson.

The radio on my hip beeped and I picked it up when I heard my name. "What's going on Tim?"

"Hey Y/N. We just got word of another office building fire." The radio was silent for a moment before Tim came back on and gave me an address not too far from this one. "Fire Chief thinks this one might be arson."

"Send me the report and Angelo and I will head right over." Clipping the radio back to my belt, I looked over at Angelo. "Ready for another pop quiz?"

Angelo grinned, his eyes full of determination. "As ready as I will ever be."

Nodding my head, I stuck the tablet back in my bag. "Alright. Let's head out Rookie!"

***

Slipping off my jacket and dropping it on the hook in my office, I sat down at my desk chair, rubbing my tired eyes. The fire in the office building had turned out to be arson after all and not even smartly set. The owner of the office building had poured gasoline all over the floor and set the building on fire, leaving behind a trail of lawsuits that he was currently experiencing. I figured he had assumed the fire would destroy the evidence, but unlucky for him and lucky for us, the fire caught the curtains and burned up through the top of the room rather than the floor. The gasoline trail, along with the lawsuit documents, was in almost pristine condition.

It had been an easy decision, which I was happy for since it made the whole situation a lot easier. I loved my job, I really did, but when we had back-to-back investigations, it was a little frustrating. As the head of Fire Investigations department, I had a busy schedule, often working longer hours than I wanted or liked, but it was a job that felt so fulfilling, one that I absolutely adored. I had started out as a firefighter, but when I suffered a severe injury a few years back, burns along with smoke inhalation, I decided to get out of that particular field. A job opened up in the Fire Investigations Unit and my chief recommended me for it, something I appreciated. Two years later, I became head of the unit when the older leader, Charlie, retired and I had been in the position since then.