Chapter 16: "...that she was going to accept me for who and what I was."

Y/N POV:

"Why do you think the bank is going to be the next location?" Tim stood on the other side of my desk, shuffling through the photos, a confused but curious look on his face. "What makes you think Antonio is going to go for it next?"

Standing up, I moved to Tim's side and reached out for the photos. He sighed and handed them to me then crossed his arms over his chest. I quickly explained the theory I had presented to Angelo and I watched the look of confusion change to one of dismay and understanding. "And the bank? It's the same one that paid out the insurance claim to Alex's parents."

"So you think that Antonio is punishing all the people and places that are somehow connected to Alex's death?" When I nodded, Tim let out another sigh. "I just don't get it kid. I really don't. I spent some time with Antonio after Alex's death and he seemed to be handling everything pretty okay. Yeah. He was upset, but there didn't seem to be any kind of underlying anger or rage there. Just... just grief."

"I know." I handed the photos back to Tim and ran a hand through my hair, tugging the ends in frustration. "Trust me. I really do know. I had lunch with Antonio a few times and he seemed fine. I don't... I don't get why he would do this all of a sudden."

Tim put a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it gently, sensing the things I was feeling without me having to say a word. "You do... you do know that Alex's death wasn't your fault, right?"

Part of me wanted to smile, laugh at the way Tim always knew when I was starting to spiral down into that pool of guilt, that thorny crown of thoughts that would latch onto my head and dig themselves into my brain, filling my mind with feelings of remorse and anger, sadness and frustration, feelings of blame for what had happened to Alex. "The smart part of me does know that, but there are times when I second guess myself. Feelings are definitely a mindfuck."

Tim laughed at my words and tugged my hair. "Hey. Watch your language kid."

I couldn't stop the snort that escaped me in a puff of air. "My language? Did you forget how many years I worked with you and the other guys? Your language could make a sailor blush, especially when Jesse gets going in Greek."

"True."

Moving back around to my chair, I flopped down into it, trying to push down some of the irritation I was feeling with the whole situation. Tim set the photos down on the desk and I picked them up again, studying them carefully as I flipped through, trying to find something, anything that would indicate Antonio's state of mind, but I knew it was fruitless. To figure it out, I would need to go straight to the source. Stunned that it hadn't crossed my mind before, I lifted my head up quickly and met Tim's eyes.

Tim's eyes narrowed and he shook his head. "No. No. Don't even think about it." Tim leaned forward on the desk, his hands placed flat and a serious set to his mouth. "Please tell me you're not planning what I think you are."

Giving Tim a small smile, I nodded my head. "I'm going to call Antonio."

***

As I waited in the booth in the coffee shop, the same one I met Taehyung in, I couldn't help but shred my napkin between my fingers. Part of me wondered if I was making the right decision, making a good choice by asking Antonio to meet me. I wanted to get a glimpse of how he was feeling, what his current mindset was, wondering if anything would be visible on his face. Unfortunately, I also knew I couldn't let my hopes get too high. Antonio? He was one of the best poker players I had ever met. I just hoped this time he wouldn't be able to hide it.

The bell above the door rang and I looked up to see Antonio entering. For a moment, I thought I was seeing a ghost. The same dark hair, the same chocolate brown eyes, the same wide smile that made all the women they met swoon at the sight. Antonio looked around the coffee shop for a moment and when he caught my gaze, he grinned even wider and hurried over to me.