Chapter 15: "... and get my happy ending with my soulmate"

Y/N POV:

The next morning came far too quickly for me and as I lay there in bed waiting for my alarm to go off, I couldn't help but think of the amazing evening I had spent with Taehyung. I had been surprised when he asked to kiss me again, but I hadn't hesitated. It had been beautiful and perfect and the connection I had felt to him was unbelievable, one that was hard to grasp as being real. It seemed like we had known each other forever, but I didn't want to say anything to Taehyung and have him think I was crazy. I really liked him. Way more than I expected to, especially this quickly, but I couldn't stop myself either.

My alarm on my phone began going off and I reached over to shut it off with a displeased groan. Even though I didn't have to be in the office until 11, I had set the alarm for earlier, knowing I had errands to run before work began. Sitting up, I ran a hand over my face, trying to wake myself up before I pushed back the blankets and stood. I bent over, touching my toes and stretching out my back, a little sore from always being bent over my desk, staring at reports, but it couldn't be helped.

I took a quick shower and slipped on jeans and a hoodie, comfortable clothes I could run around in. I had just gone back into the bathroom when I heard Tim's ringtone come from my phone. Letting out a frustrated sound, I went back to my bedroom, knowing he was only calling me for one reason.

Clicking accept, I answered the call, trying to keep my voice calm, knowing it's not Tim's fault. "Hey Tim. Don't even tell me."

I could hear the frustration on the other end of the line. "Yep. Got another one. Funeral home this time."

"Funeral home?" I couldn't keep the shock out of my tone, the location completely not what I would have expected. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah. And the damage? It's bad on this one. Something in the MO changed since we didn't get the call until it was too late. It was a slow burn that went unnoticed for far too long."

"Shit." I wanted to scream in aggravation, but I held back. "Alright. Let me call the rookie and we'll be right there."

"Thanks. See you soon kid." I disconnected the call, sent a quick text to Angelo then stripped out of the hoodie I had put on, pulling my Fire Investigator shirt on instead. Grabbing my jacket and bag, I slipped on my shoes and headed out of my apartment. I got in my car and drove to the scene, trying to think of what the connections between the fires could be. Or where there any? Was there a reason Antonio chose these particular places? Or were they random? The idea of not knowing drove me crazy and it was still brewing in my mind when I pulled up to the scene.

Parking my car, I strode over to the building, or what was left of it, and ducked under the bright yellow tape before I stopped beside the bright red fire truck. Tim was sitting on the step that led up into the cab and I gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulder, one that I knew would do little to ease his irritation. As a seasoned firefighter, he would become frustrated when they would arrive too late and the damage would be too much to salvage any of the building. And I knew this was going to be one of those. I gazed over at the building and I could see that it was almost unrecognizable. The previous structure had been reduces to charred wood and ash, shattered windows and melted frames, nothing left to save.

"Shit. It really was too late, huh?" I turned my attention back to Tim, understanding the agitation he must be feeling right now. "How long do you estimate that it was burning?"

Tim shook his head. "At least a couple of hours. It was set so perfectly that it stayed along the floors and interior walls just long enough to cause some real damage without being seen. When it finally reached the exterior walls and the ceiling, there wasn't much left to save of the building. At that point, the only thing we could do was let it burn itself out."