Chapter 14

Rose Parkinson looked over the first issue of the Daily Prophet which carried her name as editor and thought 'shit, how do we follow that?' as she knew this edition would change their world.

Nobody ever said pureblood ways made sense, unless you were a wealthy pureblood male but the attack on the Potter's wedding made a mockery of these beliefs and somebody had made a very bad miscalculation.

Purebloods the length and breadth of the country would be sickened by this news, not because a wedding was attacked nor was it the prospect of losing most of the leaders of the magical world that generated these feelings.

No, it was the inclusion of muggles and their technology thus implying that magic wasn't up to the task and anything that showed muggles in a better light than wizards was to be avoided at all costs.

The people involved in this attack had just lost the support of the section of society they propose to represent.

A massive magical photograph that was simply iconic dominated the front page and was worth a thousand words.

A half blood wizard had just been married to a first generation witch by a muggle clergyman with a pureblood and an elf on both sides of the happy couple.

If that wasn't iconic enough the enormous stained glass window behind the wedding party then explodes and everyone can see Winky throw herself between Ginny and the window while heir to one of the most respected pureblood families, Neville Longbottom takes multiple hits from the flying glass.

It was an astonishing picture showing a beautiful scene disintegrating into horrific carnage in the space of a few seconds that could reshape the political landscape of the magical world.

The picture had been magically altered to replay at slow speed and anyone watching it unfold would have a hard time believing the muggle minister was the only fatality from the group so far as Winky and Neville were still unconscious at time of print.

The ministry had also made an unprecedented announcement with the awarding of three Order of Merlin's First Class. The unprecedented part was in the recipients, Daniel Granger – a muggle, Winky – an elf and Drumlok (posthumously) – a goblin.

All had deliberately used their bodies as shields for the protection of others costing the brave goblin his life as he shielded his head of state.

There was also a special gallantry award for the elves that saved so many lives with their shields and rapid evacuation of casualties, each elf would receive a special badge commissioned for the occasion to be worn on their tunics.

The awards were to be presented at a celebratory ministry Christmas Eve Ball.

What the article didn't say as Rose made the decision not to print was that Harry and Hermione had refused awards for ridding the world of Riddle. They both wholeheartedly supported the announced awards as they felt saving lives should be honoured, not taking them.

The new editor had also included excerpts from the muggle press describing the weapon used and what would have happened but for the heavy magical protection.

Rose had already printed twice the normal number of papers but from her office window she could see how busy the newsagent was becoming and decided to print more.